Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???

O.K. the damn rear main and/or crank plug are now leaking. With that said I think I need to replace the clutch??? Is this true. My Centerforce 12" Dual Friction package only has about 3000 miles on it. The flywheel is no big deal, I will get it resurfaced and balanced, but I'm worried about the clutch disc and PP. Do I need to replace both or just the clutch disc? I'm going to pull the tranny out this Thurs. or Fri. and replace the rear main and crank plug so any help before then would be great!!! Later
Old 08-22-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have to. If the oil got all up on it it may have destroyed the friction service.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Can I replace just the clutch disc or will I have to replace clutch disc & PP?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to inspect it before you order anything. I had a leaking real main seal and none of the oil got onto the clutch. I replaced the rear main seal and the rear cover gasket when I changed the clutch. If oil did get into the clutch, the only thing that might get damaged is the clutch disk, since the material is somewhat porus. I personally don't think oil will destroy the disk. Taking it out and cleaning the friction surfaces with degreaser should do the trick. Any oil that's left will probably burn off due to the heat, or thin out and "seep" out of the pads due to the centriprtal force of the spinning disk.

My two cents
Old 08-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Banned

u got the flywheel taken care of right? lol
Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Ya the other flywheel's still good. I'll just get the new one turned real quick when I pull it out. So the spare one's still available.

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I'll be that lucky. You did bring up a good point though, I should change the rear cover gasket while I'm in there along with the rear main & the crank plug. It's only been leaking for about 2 weeks so hopefully everything's still somewhat clean... hopefully. Thanks again. Later
Old 09-02-2006, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

OK, good news and bad news... I got her torn apart and yes it's leaking (bad news). The rear main's not leaking but the crank plug is and maybe the rear cover gasket (kinda good news... I guess, well at least the rear main's not leaking). As you can see in the pictures it's pretty nasty. The flywheel's hot-spotted a little (so it needs resurfaced), the PP is hot-spotted real bad (needs resurfaced), and the clutch disc doesn't look too bad (but I'm still gonna send it to Centerforce to have them replace the pads, just to be safe). The one question I have is, in the picture, do you guys think the rear cover gasket is leaking? I've inspected it and I can't tell for sure if it is or if it isn't leaking. But by the pattern of the oil spray it kinda looks like the top right of the cover gasket could be leaking. If you have an opinion either way let me know. Thanks!!

Later
Attached Thumbnails Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???-car-039.1.jpg   Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???-car-004.1.jpg   Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???-car-016.1.jpg   Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???-car-040.1.jpg   Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???-car-050.1.jpg  

Old 09-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Banned

damn thats good ur clutch setup looks fine
Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, looks like my Dual Friction after 700 miles.... I think that they are a crock. 550 of that was break-in and real easy driving too.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Hard to say where that leak is really coming from due to the fact that the clutch and flywheel were slinging that oil around at 4000-6500 rpms.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I can't really complain about the DF. It's worked great so far. That thing grips hard. It's the stuff around it that's pissing me off.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Turbo T/A
I can't really complain about the DF. It's worked great so far. That thing grips hard. It's the stuff around it that's pissing me off.
True. I felt that way about my Spec. Each has his own.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

My rear main seal went bad with 700 miles on my new textralia clutch. Cars up on jacks and I'll be pullin the trans in a few minutes. I hope nothing got on my new clutch . Wish me luck.

James
Old 09-02-2006, 02:59 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Jimmard
My rear main seal went bad with 700 miles on my new textralia clutch. Cars up on jacks and I'll be pullin the trans in a few minutes. I hope nothing got on my new clutch . Wish me luck.

James

Get a few cans of brake cleaner. I have been there too.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reaplace the rear main seal and the rear cover gasket. Use RTV in corners where the rear cover meets the oil pan. Inspect the rear oil galley plug when you take the cover off. Then clean oil all of the oil on the block, clutch, and bellhousing.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a plan. I was leaning towards replacing the cover gasket. So I guess I'll replace while I've got it all apart and the cars on jack stands. I won't get the PP and clutch back until the end of next week anyway. So I've got nothing but time to replace what I need to and get everything cleaned up. I'll do a search on removing and replacing the rear cover. I think I can replace the seal with the cover off. I'll do a search and find out.

Jimmard: Good luck man. I sucks, but what can you do but fix it. I sure as hell ain't paying someone to fix it for me. Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Rear main leaking... do I need to replaced my new clutch because of it???