Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dick harrell rear quarters?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dick harrell rear quarters?!

does anyone out there know if the rear quarters that are on the dick harrell LS1 camaro are available for buying somewhere or know a place that can fabricate them?, i think they look sweet as hell and make the camaro look mean..
Attached Thumbnails dick harrell rear quarters?!-dick-harrell-camaro.jpg  
Old 08-22-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure those are not available anywhere, made specificially for those cars. A high end body shop could do work like that but your talkin alot of man hours which translates to lots of $$$.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread on here called "So, you want your car to look like a Dick Harrel" about a guy and his buddy who were supposed to fab them up. It turned into a flame war and got locked.

No one makes them, and since it sacrifices body integrity to replace the rear 1/4 with a fiberglass panel, the cars are discontinued, and it would be extremely expensive to make, no one ever will.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Launching!

damn!.. that really sucks, well i thought id give it a try, ive always been wondering that.. thanks for they replys
Old 08-22-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
There was a thread on here called "So, you want your car to look like a Dick Harrel" about a guy and his buddy who were supposed to fab them up. It turned into a flame war and got locked.

No one makes them, and since it sacrifices body integrity to replace the rear 1/4 with a fiberglass panel, the cars are discontinued, and it would be extremely expensive to make, no one ever will.
Our cars have great following and market yet it is odd....practically any other car out there..you can purchase some type of wide body for it. The F-bodies just don't have the poplularity for something like that to be mass produced for the aftermarket community.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, you can do anything with Bondo
Old 08-22-2006, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

i just dont see why one of the guys on here with access to a body shop make the "fender-flared" rear 1/4 panels out of steel or whatever the stockers are made out of.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tsw239
i just dont see why one of the guys on here with access to a body shop make the "fender-flared" rear 1/4 panels out of steel or whatever the stockers are made out of.
Because they fear lawsuits. If some guy in his garage has fiberglass/metalwork skills and creates a one-off and bolts it to his car, that's fine, but if a company starts to mass-produce something that everyone can buy, the limited edition Berger cars become less "special" (read: less valuable). That would be when I could see GMMG stepping in with a lawsuit.

-Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't make sense. Flared fenders are flared fenders. I'd dish out some $$ for a set.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be pretty shitty if GMMG stepped in with a lawsuit because somebody made aftermarket parts like the ones on thier car. Thats just rediculous.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

I just would like to make it clear, that GMMG could *NOT* come close to winning a lawsuit over fender flares, and I doubt they would be dumb enough to try. Thats like Nike trying to sue reebok for putting laces on thier shoes.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Daez
I just would like to make it clear, that GMMG could *NOT* come close to winning a lawsuit over fender flares, and I doubt they would be dumb enough to try. Thats like Nike trying to sue reebok for putting laces on thier shoes.
That's not a valid analogy. Laces are a required part of athletic shoes, not something that makes the shoe unique. If you don't think GMMG would try to sue to protect what makes their customized cars unique, you've got another thing coming. There's a reason each one of those cars is worth six figures and it's NOT just because of the drivetrain.

-Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

make the dimensions of the flares different but somewhat similar!! (no lawsuit)
Old 08-22-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If GMMG has bad enough legal advice to sue anyone for making flared rear quarters, let them. They didn't invent them, nor are they unique in their use on Camaros. Now, if someone goes and paints "Dick Harrell" on the side of the car, now that's another story...

No one's come out with these things because they're hard to do and the prospective sales volume is too low for what people would be willing to pay. Plus, they're not something you can just bolt on, so add some serious body shop costs.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tsw239
make the dimensions of the flares different but somewhat similar!! (no lawsuit)
Exactly.... It's like when everyone feared SLP when some companies offered Firehawk and SS hoods. People were scared, and even SLP threatened people, but nothing happened.

The fact is, GMMG isn't the first company to come up with the idea of flairing the fenders to acheive a wider body stance. Just about every car out there that runs in any type of race series has flared fenders in order to stuff 10-14" wide wheels. From Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Honda, to Chevy, Dodge, Ford and Pontiac, they all have them, why can't someone offer them.

I love the look of the DH cars, but lets get real, they didn't invent the wide look, they just made a nice version for the camaro.

All you need to do is make them and market it towards the firebird crowd since GMMG totally forgot about us. (But don't tell anyone that they'll work on camaros too).
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

lol good idea...
Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

dude i stayed at that same hotel on the power tour of 2005. we drove the silver 03 cobra. the hotel was kind of old and falling apart. that car was one bada$$ car. he did one of the biggest burnout i had ever seen in my life at about every stop.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

1 word that everyone is forgetting when you try to sue for copying someone elses work..PATENT... GMMG and Berger does not (to this day) hold ANY patents or copyrights at the U.S. Patent office reguarding this issue... therefore.. no lawsuit can be filed, it would be baseless and without merrit...

it WOULD be plausible if some one were trying to build the exact same Dick Harrell cars, and selling them as "Dick Harrell" cars..

otherwise you would have countless companies sueing each other over Hoods.. and clear corners.. and SS wings.. seat covers.. ect.

next
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where there is a wallet there is a way...

Here's one of about 5 people that I know who have had it done (only pic I have here):

Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Where there is a wallet there is a way...

Here's one of about 5 people that I know who have had it done (only pic I have here):

And if anyone is stupid enough to say that it is a Dick Harrell progress pic they need their ***** shot off... Look no further than the molded spoiler if you need proof it is NOT a DH car...

Quick Reply: dick harrell rear quarters?!