Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tuner for LT1(stock PCM)??-t-76 10psi pump/14psi race

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner for LT1(stock PCM)??-t-76 10psi pump/14psi race

Ok..as some of you might know..im doing a t-76 build on my LT1. I dont want to go crazy right now so I want to keep the boost low and fuel system "affordable". Is there anyone on the east coast(im located in CT) who can tune my PCM for around 10psi on pump gas and about 14psi on race gas?(with meth) I know the motor will handle alot more but my main concern is making it through next year being able to beat on the car safetly. Anyone?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default tune

it alittle far but performance by joe in stlouis him the best f body tuner that i know his phone number is 1-314-781-3135
Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

how far is far? I dont mind driving 5-600 miles..to get it done right..do you have an idea on how much it would cost?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm6383
how far is far? I dont mind driving 5-600 miles..to get it done right..do you have an idea on how much it would cost?
It might be closer to go to TTP in new jersey.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

i don't think TTP does anything with LT1s. You can try Rapid Motorsports in PA. They are a sponsor here, I had my car tuned there.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I would just get a mail order tune to get you close and then yu adjust the timing and fuel yourself with tunercat or LT1edit.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I would just get a mail order tune to get you close and then yu adjust the timing and fuel yourself with tunercat or LT1edit.
The tuners usually lock the PCM so that's probably not an option. Either way, I'd stay away from the mail order tunes. There's just too many different variables to really tune a car correctly through the mail.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
The tuners usually lock the PCM so that's probably not an option. Either way, I'd stay away from the mail order tunes. There's just too many different variables to really tune a car correctly through the mail.
Ed wright is the only one I know of that locks. I dont recommend him anyway. I am speaking of pcmforless or madwolf. Nothing wrong with mailorder programs a long as you can scan the results on the maiden voyage.

If the poster is going thru the trouble of doing a turbo setup, then i would expect he has logging software and should invest in an onboard WB setup. Start the car after the tune is loaded, take it out for closed loop duty and log the results. If they look fine at part throttles, then check the timing tables and verify that the timing is low for WOT conditions. If it appears to be then take it out for a quick hit on the street while logging data and paying attention to the A/F. Make tweaks as needed.

Put it this way, someone dynotuning the car is going to load a tune off a guess and then make the first hard pull watching A/F with a low conservative timing setting. This same procedure is done on the street like I mentioned above. The two mailorder guys I listed have done hundreds of cars...possible in the 1000's. Atleast the mailorder tune will take care of cam surge and al the little things and you only need to make the tweeks to WOT since it will e ultra conservative from them.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

Not to be a dick or shoot down mail order tunes(esp cuz I have one now frmo MADZ and I like it) but on a car making this kinda power I want everything PERFECT and im not gonna skimp on tuning..I just want it done right..I dont mind spending a few hundred more for a MUCH safer tune..PLUS I want two different tunes. How would I switch between two?..and does rapid motorsports do turbo LT1s? Thanks-Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAm6383
Not to be a dick or shoot down mail order tunes(esp cuz I have one now frmo MADZ and I like it) but on a car making this kinda power I want everything PERFECT and im not gonna skimp on tuning..I just want it done right..I dont mind spending a few hundred more for a MUCH safer tune..PLUS I want two different tunes. How would I switch between two?..and does rapid motorsports do turbo LT1s? Thanks-Mark
Mark, if you can tune yourself, then great. DO you just want a dynotune? Who is gonna tune on the street? Just letting you know that the mailorder can set you up with low timing and fat A/F. Then you adjust it more aggressive from there. Its just a starting point. Getting a WB for the car is a must so you can tweak on the street if need be.

Jon
Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Mark, if you can tune yourself, then great. DO you just want a dynotune? Who is gonna tune on the street? Just letting you know that the mailorder can set you up with low timing and fat A/F. Then you adjust it more aggressive from there. Its just a starting point. Getting a WB for the car is a must so you can tweak on the street if need be.

Jon
100% agreed on the WB(which is why I have an AEM in the box awaiting lol) I honestly wouldnt trust myself to tune a car..esp since ive never even looked at something like. Im very computer literate..so im sure I could learn with practice..but I dont want to practice on my car. haha.. I will be getting a base mail order tune to break the engine in..prolly have the boost set around 5psi..but after that I want to get it done right.

5 questions I have.

1. Who can dynotune my car.(the right way)
2. How on a stock PCM would I be able to switch between 2 boost levels...
3. someone explain this 2-3bar map sensor thing and where I can get something like this for my car.
4. MAF location..before or after the turbo(ive seen it in both locations.
5. How to prevent(properly) blowby

(1&2 are the most important questions if you guys dont feel like explaining it all)

Quick Reply: Tuner for LT1(stock PCM)??-t-76 10psi pump/14psi race