Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MASSIVE t56 install problems trans wont slide in all the way

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MASSIVE t56 install problems trans wont slide in all the way

Im in the process of trying to reinstall my trans after a rebuild by t56rebuilds. its going in with a ram master and slave, along with a spec clutch and stock cut flywheel.

I had the trans hoisted into place and the input shaft slid into the clutch pretty deep. However the transmission will not go all the way in. There is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch between the trans and the bellhousing. The bolts in the trans are touching the bellhousing but unable to thread into it. I do not know what is stopping the trans from slipping in. No amount of forcing can slide it in any further. I tried to wiggle raise and lower the trans and nothing has worked

After I re-pulled the trans and sat it on the ground i re-checked the alicnment of the clutch and everything with the tool and it is perfectly aligned. I removed the slave from the trans to compare it to the old one and as I looked I noticed the the old slave compresses about 1/2 an inch further than the new one. With no shims in either of the slaves, old or new, and the spring removed the newer slave's TO bearing sits higher. It seems that this is what is preventing the trans from sliding in but I am not sure. I am 99.9% positive that im sliding into the pilot bearing but then again its only about 1 inch or less left to slide in which is the thickness of the pilot bearing.

Also when the slignment too in the clutch it seems like the space around the fingers on the clutch is not even. Like the clutch disc needs to be slid up a little, But if the tool goes all the way in then why wouldnt the trans? I have no idea what to do at this point and im ready to just tow my car to the shop and say **** it.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just learned this the other day, but it's the slave cylinder holding you back. You said it yourself, the old one compresses ~1/2" more than the new one. Well that resistance is what is holding the tranny away from the motor.

What one of the guys suggested using were the torque arm mount bolts and thread them through the bellhousing and use them to pull the motor and tranny together (I didn't know to do this, but I guess they're the same thread, but they're a longer bolt). Once you get the tranny close enough to start threading all the bolts, you'll be ok.

I had a b!tch of a time putting mine together too . But don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong, it's just the slave being tight.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had this problem the other day. If the alignment tool is not going in and out with the greatest of ease then that might be your problem. The more discs and pressure plates you have the harder/worse it is. If you aren't using an actual input shaft to check instead of an alignment tool, then it could be mis-aligned. That was the only way that I found out mine wasn't *perfect*.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ya just cuz the crappy plastic tool works doesnt mean its going to slide in.

careful.. forcing it can damage the input shaft and certainly the pilot bearing if it's not actually lined up.

if the pp fingers are not all level then you either dont have all of the bolts tight, or there is something else in there that shouldnt be...maybe the disk is sitting crooked in there.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had to pull mine in with bolts before its scary ,but it works.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

if it dont slide right on somthing is wrong i did this it fucked up everything
Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I just learned this the other day, but it's the slave cylinder holding you back. You said it yourself, the old one compresses ~1/2" more than the new one. Well that resistance is what is holding the tranny away from the motor.

What one of the guys suggested using were the torque arm mount bolts and thread them through the bellhousing and use them to pull the motor and tranny together (I didn't know to do this, but I guess they're the same thread, but they're a longer bolt). Once you get the tranny close enough to start threading all the bolts, you'll be ok.

I had a b!tch of a time putting mine together too . But don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong, it's just the slave being tight.

Same thing happened to me, I'll assume you got it in by now, but if you did the bench bleed method make sure that you compress the slave otherwise you will have this problem.

Normally the fluid in the slave would just travel up through the line and it wouldn't be a huge issue. However, at this stage you dont have the line attached so the fluid has no where to go. Crack the bleader on the slave, compress the slave and close the bleader and it should slide right in.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

I got it on the day after..But yea I bled the slave so it was fully compressed, then used four long bolts to pull the trans together. I'm on mile 604 now and its fully broken in. SWEET track time
Old 09-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Banned

ya its no massive problem but do this...

undo ur pp to the flywheel use the tool and have a buddy hold it in there, torque down all the bolts to spec make 3 passes one at 20ft lbs 40 then 55 in a star pattern. at all times make sure that tool slides in and out with ease i mean alot of ease like no effort to force it in.

yes its a bitch cus it has to be lined up vertical horiztonaly and rotation wise stright with the input shaft for it to slide in good.

what helped when i did mine was have a buddy wiggle it and push the tranny, then i got in the back and stuck the drive shaft in to the back and pushed and rotated the drive shaft so there for it aligned with the clutch disk perfect then once from there all u ahve to do is get it straight.

i tohught of also using the torque arm bolts that may help quite a bit just slowly ease it in and around.

hope this helps! i was in the same situation a couple of days ago!

good luck
Old 09-04-2006, 05:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it in and broken in.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Default ls t56

Just ran into the same exact issue tonight. I knew I had the right size pilot bearing, and had the flywheel and pressure plate aligned properly. I bolted the new slave to the transmission without bleeding it so it wouldn't compress. Lone behold I started it with some longer bolts, and everything ended up sliding in. Wish I would've seen this thread earlier before messing around with the thing for hours! lol

Quick Reply: MASSIVE t56 install problems trans wont slide in all the way