Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aftercooled Vortech LS1. You like it? #'s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftercooled Vortech LS1. You like it? #'s?

So what kind of times are yall seeing with the aftercooled Vortech LS1 setups? I just purchased one kinda on a whim. Ive only been able to find a few RWHP numbers for a stock LS1 with this S/C. Seems there is not alot of info out there.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

that's cause most people here run ATI's.

on the stock block with stock pulley thru the automatic 3800 stall mind you, it made 448 rwhp-- went 11.4's on Nitto drag radials, shifting at 6 grand.

on 2.95 pulley it made 474 rwhp still stock block-went 11.2's on BFG drag radials, again shifting at only 6 grand.

i forged the bottom end approx 9.3:1 compression, comp cam and 2.75 pulley, I made 526, I'm pretty sure there is more left in it the way it is cause it hardly has any timing in it and the fuel needs to be dialed in more.

the car went 11.0's before redynoeing for more power. It should do a high 10 full weight.

Inspector 12 , myself, and few other guys run vortechs. i got a helluva deal on a kit and at the time (2004)

when you are ready for more power you can up to the T trim or YSi which i'd like to do.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

My T trim was fun. Going back together with it this weekend. See what it finally runs soon.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my numbers here. About to be more with meth kit.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#'s below, not stock though. I'm not sure how much more I can get out of it before something blows up. I like the setup, and drive the car quite a bit. No problems at all so far.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Buddy of mine at work has a V-9 Kit on his camaro with the low boost pulley and a 55 shot he went 11.4 . 3200+ stall and Nitto 555R's....He went to a smaller pulley recently and is hoping for 11.2 or better.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Wow! Seems like these kits are pretty consitant. I guess I would be safe to expect 460 to the wheels. ATI is ALL I could find when I searched this, and if I hadnt gotten a good deal on the Vortech, ATI would had probably gotten the nod, but either way, it doesnt look like I will be dissapointed. Thanks fellas!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

I have a stock LS1 with the Vortech kit S-trim, 3.4in pulley 10.75psi
537/498
Kit is great, I just get in it, start it, smile and drive it every day.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm kinda in the same boat. I wish I would have gotten an ATI kit just because there is so much more information on it but I bought the Vortech because I got it pretty cheep. I have installed everything on my car myself with no trouble but I don't feel comfortable trying to install my Vortech kit mainly because I don't know of anyone that could help me if I had trouble with it. None of the shops I have called will do the install because I bought the kit used.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
I'm kinda in the same boat. I wish I would have gotten an ATI kit just because there is so much more information on it but I bought the Vortech because I got it pretty cheep. I have installed everything on my car myself with no trouble but I don't feel comfortable trying to install my Vortech kit mainly because I don't know of anyone that could help me if I had trouble with it. None of the shops I have called will do the install because I bought the kit used.
Man its really not that bad @ all! Those shops are just being ****** becuase you didnt buy it from them. My only bitch is sometimes you have to dig in the bolts bin a dig a little
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I might give it a try then. I have had the kit for about 3 years now and it has just sat in my closit. When I first bought everything I couldn't find any info on the stuff. The people I did talk to said... "The car won't idle with that cam so you will have to tow the car to get it tunned, the clutch won't hold the power at all, the driveshaft needs to be changed, the rear will break and the motor probably won't last long and the crank pully has slipped and ruined the cranks on many cars." I'm fine with replacing every bit of that stuff but I would like to get the kit on the car and get it going first. Its not my DD now so its not a big deal if something breaks. I do hope the clutch would hold on the dyno so I could get it tunned though. The closest shops I know of are 5-6 hours away.

I installed the cam and stuff a few weeks ago. When I started the car up my girlfriend and my uncle both said that they couldn't tell any difference. I seem to have a phobia about installing this kit myself.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Dude, 3yrs is plenty long enough to get over that phobia. I cant let parts sit 3 DAYS without chompin at the bit to get them on. I aint worried about the install, myself. If you did headers and cam, I do not see how this could POSSIBLY be anymore difficult(however, I could find out otherwise).
Old 08-25-2006, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

the hardest part of the kit if you want to call it difficult would be cutting your hood and tapping the pan, the rest is cake. just take your time and follow the instructions you should have it done over a weekend.

I would go ahead and put in a new clutch now rather than burn up the stocker but that's up to you, the stock should last for a little bit.

man when i get new parts i am like a little kid, i can't wait to throw them on!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I bought the kit, then saved about 8k for upgrades and to have it installed but every shop I called refused to help with the install. I ended up buying a street bike and truck with the money....then college.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

everyone I knwo that has a vortech kit is happy with it.

I personally would someday like to build another car, with a vortech ysi head unit, and a BIG *** a2w intercooler, I think thier kits are good for street cars with stock motors, but to make big power, you need to get a bigger intercooler in there that's not as much a restriction. I was thinking about putting a big *** one where the battery sits, run the lines and whatnot to the trunk for a water tank for it, that type of deal. Noone's really pushed one of those ysi head units to the limits on an ls1 car, be intresting to see what it could really do. I think a 370 to 408 CI motor would be good too for it.

Maybe someday.

get that kit on the car, just make sure you get the car tuned before driving it much, and I'd keep a pulley on it that will get you 10 lbs or less on the stock bottom end.

I think you'll like the results.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

actually the aftercooler can handle up to 15 lbs with the YSi, this per Vortech engineering, I asked. The restriction comes from it necking down from the bigger outlet of the YSi blower to the smaller nipple on the aftercooler. A fix is to cut of the smaller nipple on the aftercooler and reweld a bigger one.

that's what the guys at RMCR are doing.

I plan on running a YSi, it should be able to put down power in the 700's.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That might fix it.. I didn't get specific, but that's prtty much what I was after with the stock intercooler, the inlet/outlet dia. are the issue.

I think that a good lid liek I've seen pic's of floating around that's got the inlet aimed for the blower direction would be a huge help as well, especially if someone were to make a setup that used the larger vette filter, as it would provide less of a resitriction.

A larger aftermarket a2w unit in place of the battery would probably work well too though, one that was designed to fit that location so it optimized the area, and had a good amount of coolant capacity.. and inlet/outlets that were sized the same as a YSI head unit.

Alot of guys think the ATI stuff is better, but I don't think it's the case, not same size for same size units anyway.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Nice thread, I was looking for the same info as you, I'm in the process of buying a used kit myself (but Mav already knows that )

Quick Reply: Aftercooled Vortech LS1. You like it? #'s?