Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Roof Bubble Info. Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Bubble Info. Thread

We could all write a book on how GM is screwing us with the roof bubble issue. I'm in the process of dealing with them but they only want to pay for half of the repair which would be $425 on my end. If I could crap $100 bills I would not have a problem with that.

So if you have had your car covered please pass on the info. to this thread so everyone who has this problem can follow the process. If people could dig up their GM case #'s or pass along their vin #'s GM would have to have that on record. Also if you remember names of people you dealt with or anything that would help. We have enough people with the problem so if we all push together they would have to respond.

In my conflict so far I have hit a brick wall. I took it to a dealer (not where i bought it) but one that has a body shop. He said yep he has seen it before and they fixed it for the guy no problem. So he talks to the GM 800 # rep that I spoke with (some lady named Tigris) and she gives me the 50/50 offer after I had to find the TSB for her. So i go to her boss Gary McCumber and he states that is the final offer and if I dont like it he will pull the offer from the table and I can pay the whole thing. He has no boss to transfer me to so I guess GM stands for Gary McCumber. So now they are calling me pushing for my answer because they say they are bending over backwards for me (I think we are the only ones bending over here).

Please lets work together so we can all benefit. Give as much info as you can.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a '98 and I took that in and they said that it didn't happen on the 1998 models and that it was my fault because of the Polish that I had used. So according to them Meguiars and Zaino are to blame for the problem. I basically told the guy to **** off, thank God the other one is a vert. I hope that they fix everything on ur car.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Time for the lawyers!! They should pay for everything. Let's see...buy my product, I'll put it together half-assed, and when it becomes an issue, instead of owning up to it, I'll blame the consumer.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup thats basically what they are sayin and its complete bullshit. I am very interested to see what comes of this because I am starting to see it happening to my roof.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've already got a sticky on this subject in the "Hall of Fame" at the top of the page:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/511850-compiled-sail-panel-information.html
Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

***** mine is starting to do it. we need to find an answer and
Old 08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry and quick b/c these people dont wanna help at all damm dealers say yah yah and they when its go time they dont help worth a damm
Old 08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Default Update

I talked to GM again today and they said they have closed my case at their end and all I'm going to get is 50/50. I said that I know for a fact of atleast 3 dealers that have repaired cars this summer with 90,000 plus miles for free. She put me on hold after I started naming dealers. Then she comes back and said that 50/50 crap again. So I said why do you help some out and not others? 50/50 50/50 she sounds like a freakin robot!

So I talked to a guy at a Pontiac Dealership and he said I need the area service rep and he can goodwill the fix. So of course he is on vacation till monday so that is when the battle resumes. I have numbers and names and as soon as I'm finished I will post it all for everyone.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

What about actually fixing the problem instead of re-doing it the same way so the problem can happen all over again down the road?

Has anyone actually come up with another way of fixing the roof? All I ever see are people bitching about getting GM to fix their roof. Well guess what, its going to happen again because it will be put back together the same way again.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Teching In

No, GM will replace your entire roof panel and use a different method so it does not happen again. I have heard that it is because they did not primer the under side of the panel and that is why the glue comes up through but at this point anything is possible I guess. I assume they would use the same method as they used on the 93 - 97 models that do not have this problem and you would not have it in the future. See someone at GM found a way to cut a corner and save a buck and look who pays for it in the long run. I seem to always be the jackass left standing when the music stops playing! I will post what happens next week with my car.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing....
Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tjodom
No, GM will replace your entire roof panel and use a different method so it does not happen again. I have heard that it is because they did not primer the under side of the panel and that is why the glue comes up through but at this point anything is possible I guess. I assume they would use the same method as they used on the 93 - 97 models that do not have this problem and you would not have it in the future. See someone at GM found a way to cut a corner and save a buck and look who pays for it in the long run. I seem to always be the jackass left standing when the music stops playing! I will post what happens next week with my car.
I worked for a Chevrolet dealer and did several of the replacements. There replaced with the same roof cap made from the same SMC "sheet moulding compound". SMC is the same composit the SS/WS6 hoods, rear hatch, doors ect. are made from. The only difference is the urithane adhesive used to require a primer "adhesion promoter" to etch into the panel/paint to aid in the adhesion of the urithane. The newer urithane adhesive has the primer allready mixed in. Its the same urithane adhesive used to glue the front/rear glass into our cars. We were also replacing them under the corrosion protection thats covered for six years from the original purchase date reguardless of miles.

All of this is covered in the allready long existing threads.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
...All of this is covered in the allready long existing threads.
sticky sticky sticky

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof Bubble Info. Thread