Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so im getting a stall now..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default so im getting a stall now..

Ive narrowed it down to this... I think ill get a fuddle street or the fuddle performance series unless i can find something better. Im looking for good quality, 3000 max.. preferably 2800, its a daily driver and im touchy on gas, and im on a tighter budget. Anyone know whats perfect for me or anything about the fuddle converters?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

anybody?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

i was on a budget and got a TCI 3000 for my DD. i also have a heavy foot. i loved it but wish i went bigger
Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

i was on a budget and got a TCI 3000 for my DD. i also have a heavy foot. i loved it but wish i went bigger
I talked to a guy at the track who had the exact same converter and said the exact same thing
Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from a TCI 3000/2.2 to a Fuddle HP/Street
3500/2.0. The TCI is 1% more efficient and hits
max efficiency within the powerband. The Fuddle
is close at peak but comes up to it later. The
Fuddle clutch holds like glue while the TCI was
all kind of slip trouble for me (long sad story
omitted). The TCI burned the tires a lot more
easily than the Fuddle due to the higher STR
and this drove my choice of STR for the Fuddle.
For the present state of the car I feel I should
have gone 3000/2.0 and picked up more in-
band efficiency. Low cruise is nearly the same
but a tad more slip with the 3500, still cruise
at 1500 level, 30MPH, 3.42s. Higher STRs will
paddlewheel worse at low pedal.

I went with 3500 because eventually I will
put a baby cam and good valvesprings, and
raise the shiftpoints accordingly. For a stock
street tires setup, and a personal preference
for quiet comfortable cruising, I'd go 3000/2.0
(given my gearing). If you had 2.73s you'd
probably want to make some of that up with
STR but realize that will hit harder/later and quit
earlier in torque multiplication.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

well ive got 3.73s and im pretty sure ill go with a fuddle.. probly a 3000 unless i can find a better deal on another stall. I have to get a tune now too dont I? Ive got a madz28 tune but thats pre stall so ill have to send it back right?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a fuddle 3000 w/a 2.0 str in my car, which has 2.73 gear's.
It drive's just fine.
I put some nitto Dr's on it as I had a traction problem even though the stall is considered pretty mild.
I do think with your gear's that a 3200-3500 stall would be ok.
Even with my gear's I now wish that I had gone w/a bigger stall.
You may drop a little bit of milage in stop and go traffic, but highway milage will be the same.
I don't know if you will need a tune or not.
I didn't need one myself, but i have read of a few people here that after they put in their stall were hitting the rev limiter. [mostly those w/stall's rated 3500 and up]
Best thing to do is put 'er in, follow the proper break-in procedure's, then run it.
Have fun!
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

i think im gonna go with a 2800-3000ish stall.. with my transgo im sure the transmission will go sooner then before anyways so i figure if i have that in ill stop worrying about the converter doing the same. What are the proper break in procedures?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nodnarb481
i think im gonna go with a 2800-3000ish stall.. with my transgo im sure the transmission will go sooner then before anyways so i figure if i have that in ill stop worrying about the converter doing the same. What are the proper break in procedures?
Fuddle is a good choice and 2800-3000 is right where you want to be for a LT1. There really isn't any proper break in proceedures. Most guys (myself included) will say just have fun from day one! But I have heard a few people say that avoiding WOT for 50-100 miles is a good idea.

I personally went wild since it went in and have had 0 problems so far.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

cool.. im gonna figure out this whole tuning thing and then decide what im doing. I can afford a converter after a little saving.. i cannot afford a tune with it, at least not for a while
Old 08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

cool.. im gonna figure out this whole tuning thing and then decide what im doing. I can afford a converter after a little saving.. i cannot afford a tune with it, at least not for a while
I'm not an expert on LT1's but I do know that smaller stalls on LS1's do not require any tuning. Even larger ones just require basic tweaking of things like torque management and line preasure. New Era Performance did that for me for only $40 so it might not be as bad as you think.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I'm not an expert on LT1's but I do know that smaller stalls on LS1's do not require any tuning. Even larger ones just require basic tweaking of things like torque management and line preasure. New Era Performance did that for me for only $40 so it might not be as bad as you think.

Good luck.
darrensls1--Do you race your car down at New York International Raceway Park alot?...I've seen a white Formula racing down there quite a bit this year...New Era Performance installed most of my bolt-ons (except lid and cat back)which are are similar to yours...They also tuned it and got my tired 'ole 109K fat car running a best of 13.0 so far!...I've been thinking of having them also install a torque converter and hoping to get times similar to yours but I think my tranny my not be in the best of health...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Signal7
darrensls1--Do you race your car down at New York International Raceway Park alot?...I've seen a white Formula racing down there quite a bit this year...New Era Performance installed most of my bolt-ons (except lid and cat back)which are are similar to yours...They also tuned it and got my tired 'ole 109K fat car running a best of 13.0 so far!...I've been thinking of having them also install a torque converter and hoping to get times similar to yours but I think my tranny my not be in the best of health...
Yes I do. My car is the white Formula with the blue bird on the hood and racing stripes going to the back. I'm kind of hard to miss I try to get to NYIRP two Friday nights every month for a little fun. Been running mostly 12.5's to 12.9's depending on traction.

I would go for it if I were you. They installed my converter and did the PCM tuning for a very reasonable price. If your car is a daily driver then I would start saving for a tranny rebuild now and do the stall after. If it's not then just get the stall and run it till the tranny dies. If the trannys destined to die soon anyway then may as well take it out with a bang

Good Luck
Old 08-25-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

well the tranny is in real good shape right now.. so its not on its way out. i was just wondering how fast this will speed up the process?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

well the tranny is in real good shape right now.. so its not on its way out. i was just wondering how fast this will speed up the process?
With a transmission cooler and proper tuning/shift kit the ill affects should be minimal. My Converter has been in for over a year now in a transmission that had 50K miles on it to begin with and everything is still running in tip top shape. The biggest thing is the transmission cooler because heat destroys transmissions faster then anything else.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

well ill definately be putting in the trans cooler. But i heard with a 2800 stall you dont really need a tune... maybe ill get one if i can afford it but with all this i know i wont be able to afford fixing my tranny
Old 08-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Teching In

dude i wouldn't get a 2800 stall thats kinda.... i dunno like half hearted thing to do. I was neverous when i bought a stall but i deicied to go 3800 from fuddle ( great company BTW. cant praise them enough) and I am glad I didn't go with less. I'm going untuned the only problem is that it will stall out SOMETIMES when im making and hard turn when Im backing up. untuned for 3months now its not such a big deal (been wiating for headers to get it tuned) but i woundn't get a 2800 I think you'll regret it JMHO. but i would get a tranny cooler!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

i may bump up to a 3000 but i daily drive in the worst of it so i dont want to screw my gas mileage too bad.. still this whole decision depends on how bad its gonna be for the transmission
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Yes I do. My car is the white Formula with the blue bird on the hood and racing stripes going to the back. I'm kind of hard to miss I try to get to NYIRP two Friday nights every month for a little fun. Been running mostly 12.5's to 12.9's depending on traction.

I would go for it if I were you. They installed my converter and did the PCM tuning for a very reasonable price. If your car is a daily driver then I would start saving for a tranny rebuild now and do the stall after. If it's not then just get the stall and run it till the tranny dies. If the trannys destined to die soon anyway then may as well take it out with a bang

Good Luck

Cool, I've been going back to NYIRP a lot more this year since I bought my T/A back in April...Yeah, I've actually been thinking of letting it go out with a bang since it is not my daily driver but I don't really have the money to get it fixed yet...Plus, I'd hate to pay a few hundred for a converter and have it ruined by the transmission...It's a tough call!...Also, it takes me about an hour and fifteen minutes to drive to the track and that's a LONG ways from home to be breaking down!...*lol*...Maybe I should just get AAA...*lol*...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

I had my 2800 Fuddle put in today - my only regret is not doing it first.