Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boosted LQ4

I've got a good price on a low mileage LQ4. I plan on leaving the motor stock except for new rod bolts, cam, valve springs, ls6 intake, LT headers. It will be transplanted into a 68 camaro. Sort of a budget build just to get a motor in the car. With a intercooled procharger setup how much hp can I expect? Also how long will this setup last on the street?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68LS1WANNABE
intercooled procharger setup how much hp can I expect?

Also how long will this setup last on the street?
at least 500 - could be around 650 RWHP depending on pulley and if you run a large front mount intercooler . Bob at EPP , have your people talk to his people . Ls1 Tech Sponsor ------------>

running it hard on the street Only thing will be holding you back is the stock rings ,pistons , con rods . The crank and block is plenty strong . Head studs would be a good move . If the engines out have the crank double keyed to the balancer {this may not be needed with the procharger not exact someone clarify } . I heard of superchargers breaking crank snouts off When my dad built a 355 sbc 6-71 weind rootsblower He left the crank stock key . luckly he caught it on time ,the key was shearing off . A buddy of his machined it and the balancer for double key and no problems yet .
Take it easy and it should last a while .

Last edited by cws T/A; 08-25-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

I'm kinda just gathering ideas now but one thing has came across my mind. To keep on the budget side of things what about using the truck manifolds off the LQ4 and making a front mount turbo with intercooler. To keep cost down I'm thinking of using a turbo off a diesel ford or chevy. Anyone went that route?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a LQ4 in my reg cab, short bed silverado coupled with a aftercooled vortech v2 sq-trim supercharger, cam motion blower cam, full exhaust, fuel system, etc. With the stock 3.33 pulley, shifting around 6200 rpms, its boosting about 11 psi. I don't know how much power its making, but it pulls pretty damn hard. You'll defintitely be making some good power tho, easy over the 500s if not 600 rwhp range.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

try this place www.turbomustangs.com has alot of diy kits for some ideas .I seen a mustang on their with a cheap diesel turbo .it run pretty dang good 11's . Flipping the manifolds is a good start. search on here for some more info also the sticky in FI forum .

Quick Reply: Boosted LQ4