Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Mirconite vs REM Polishing and Cryo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mirconite vs REM Polishing and Cryo?

Mirconite vs REM Polishing and Cryo?

What is the difference in the process of Mirconite and REM Polishing tranny and ring/ pinion gears?
Which is better?
Which will reduce more drag and free up more HP?

Also what is your thought about Cryo?
Pro and con’s for all?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that micronite is an abrasive slurry, whereas REM is a chemical process. I have some experience with both, and for what I've seen and heard they seem to achieve the same result.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard the hype about Micronite while on the power tour. They claimed a typical GM 10-bolt ring and gear micronited freed up an additional 15hp and 15 tq. If that's true, that's a damn good hp/$ mod considering the cost is around $300 I beleive + install costs.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

What if any difference in performance between Micronite and REM?
Which is a better process for reducing drag?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this could be very wrong, VERY, plz correct me if i am wrong

i believe that mikronite is a finishing process used to reduce temps, when i called and spoke with amber and joe@t56rebuilds.com, they said they would recommend that kind of thing for road racers and autocrossers that are gonna be in the high rpms alot. not sure on a power increase or a strength increase, i would have to dig deeper into the subject.

cryo is a process that actually strengthens the gears in the transmission by freezing them to like 300 below zero and then heating them back up i believe. I believe that this process straightens out the molecules in the gear itself and makes for a stronger unit.

hope this helps. this is all transmission information, not ring/pinion/rear end knowledge here.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jdoyle
this could be very wrong, VERY, plz correct me if i am wrong

i believe that mikronite is a finishing process used to reduce temps, when i called and spoke with amber and joe@t56rebuilds.com, they said they would recommend that kind of thing for road racers and autocrossers that are gonna be in the high rpms alot. not sure on a power increase or a strength increase, i would have to dig deeper into the subject.

cryo is a process that actually strengthens the gears in the transmission by freezing them to like 300 below zero and then heating them back up i believe. I believe that this process straightens out the molecules in the gear itself and makes for a stronger unit.

hope this helps. this is all transmission information, not ring/pinion/rear end knowledge here.
Thanks, I am looking for tranny info now.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I do beleive that Microniting using walnut shells at high pressure to polish the ring and pinion to the point that they are so smooth and polished that they actually look chromed. This supposedly reduces the frictional losses.

Sounds great in theory, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Does anyone know of a shop that does Mirconite and or REM?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:12 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Here you go http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...0PRODUCTS.HTML

I knew I saw one of the sponsors did this.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

HRP World specifically, is known as one of the best in the business and has better pricing than most due to their volume of work. Here is the direct PDF for their services dealing with REM specifically REM finishing.

The other 'best known' in the business is RPM Transmissions who uses Performance Metal to do the actual REM/Cryo work.

These are the two cats that have Katech and Pratt&Miller for a reference client-base. So you know their stuff is up to the test.

CRYO-REM is really the cats meow and is now finding its way into everything.

Last edited by chicane; 08-27-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a great idea for people going to 9" or 12 bolts. You could gain back a little of the hp lost to larger gears, and the increased drag associated with them.

Which one is better? At first glance REM sounds better.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

i did the ring and pinion testing for vinci. the results are from my 00 formula.

here's the results from that
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...IN%20PAGE.HTML

Last edited by mrr23; 02-23-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickVert
Does anyone know of a shop that does Mirconite and or REM?

I beleive it was Crane Cams that has exclusive rights to the micronite process..(done with walnut shells) ..they had a very nice slick paper hand out on the Power Tour that made some large claimes..as with all advertising I am skeptical to say the least.. ..their claimes would be good if only half of it were true...I don't have any positive or negitive feedback on the process except for what the guy on the tour was telling me and their printed info sheet.. if it was in fact 100 % true it would be a good mod to do to parts for longivity and less friction..
Old 08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

REM looks like electropolishing. May be somewhat differnet, but it was a chemical polishing process that would have a similar effect. Wher I had seen it dones was a tube bundle for a heat exchanger. The bundle had to be food grade, so the entire bundle tubes and welds were electropolished which was the only way to reach every part of the bundle.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM

Cryo is well proven, and we've used it both in automotive, and in firearms with good success.

Anyone done any metalax sonic stress relieving of finished parts?
Old 08-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

We have been utilizing micro-polishing, cryogenics and dry-film lubricants in our high performance differentials for over 3 years now with outstanding results and each certainly has it's place in specific applications. All of these metallurgical treatments are nothing new and is/has been used in the aerospace industry for decades now, with it only starting to trickle down to the HP automotive industry as commonplace within the last 10-15 years or so. When performed properly, it's quite effective.

BTW- RPM Transmissions uses our differential products.

DTE
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM

Phil,

Have you done an A-B test of the treated/cryo'd/DFL diff to see what if any measureable gains you saw? If so, what were they?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Phil,

Have you done an A-B test of the treated/cryo'd/DFL diff to see what if any measureable gains you saw? If so, what were they?
Micro-polishing: We've measured a direct drop in mean differential lubricant temperature of 12* to 16* using MP finishes compared to standard, as machined finishes utilizing a thermocouple temperature probe inserted in the sump of a C5 Corvette differential case. Great for high-heat environments like road racing and auto-crossing.

DFL: We've set up some drag racing only differentials with this and one that is competing in Speedweek at the Bonneville Salt Flats this year to reduce parasitic drag at elevated ring gear RPM. Combine this treatment with MP and one can effectively run the differential purposefully low on lubricant to reduce internal windage AND reduce drag by being able to run very light differential oils to further reduce parasitic drag w/out burning up the ring gear from excessive friction due to lack of lubrication.

Old racers trick we used to use back in the day...ran 0w "sewing machine" oil in our racing differentials when we competed in Stock Eliminator in NHRA to pick up a few hundreths in very competitive classes. Basically as long as the gears got just barely "wet" to stay lubed, all was good...

Cryogenics: We were the first to pro-actively use cryogenics in the C5 and C6 Corvette platform about 3 years ago to promote long-term gear life when used in a wide range of applications-including racing. Quite effective on the relatively soft (promotes quiet gear operation) C5/C6 ring & pinon sets and our warranty claims were cut in less than half the moment we began using cryogenics as standard in ALL of our differential gear sets regardless of build stage. We've never changed those policies/methods to this very day.

DTE
Old 08-28-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. That's some great info on the processes.

Anywhere else to gain with-in the rest of the drivetrain? Engine area's like Piston skirts, tops, port chambers, exhaust chambers?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the feed back, this is very helpful.
I guess I will use some of these processes in the future.
Bob

Quick Reply: Mirconite vs REM Polishing and Cryo?