Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Evo 8 MR

Old 08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Evo 8 MR

Well on the way out to simi last night, i was cruising in the slow lane doing 65mph like always. I see this MR come up on the left of me, and my (now ex) was asking me about them, saying they looked like WRX's. Anyways she asked if they were fast and i tell here yeah pretty quick, so i decide to speed up a little bit to see if he would take the bait.
Of course he does, i notice no plates (must be new), so he slows for us to get even but won't slow below 80mph. So he punches it and i follow suit. I was actually surprised at how easily i pulled past him.
This time he slows a bit more and we go again, with him getting the jump again, same result, i pull past and put a few cars on him. We end up getting off together and would have had a light together had he not made a RIGHT hand turn from the LEFT lane. What a jack, while he was turning i notice two cute looking blondes in the passenger and rear seat laughing. Guess he got embarrassed trying to show off his new car. Oh well. Maybe with some mods. Nice looking car though, i've always had a thing for them.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good kill. Those things are capable of high-12s and around 300lbs lighter than the other Evo 8s. I had the chance to run one and would have won, but he ended up doing $4000 by driving over a hole in the road. This guy was a complete non-driver. He was taken off the line by an automatic S4 (twin-turbo V6), and I put 3 cars by 40 on this same S4 in a previous race.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Nice kill. If its brand new its a IX, which is significantly faster than an VIII

I wonder why he wanted to run from high speed. You have all the advantages there, from aerodynamics to power to gearing. I guess he knows that now LOL. If I wanted a high speed car to impress chicks it would probably be a M series BMW.

MRs are heavy and not really faster than normal Evos. They have the M6 tranny which IMHO is not really so much a performance feature as a highway comfort feature.

RS Evos are the fastest, they are lighter and are basicly stripper cars. No wing either. If I had an Evo it would be an RS without a second thought. Most of the mags trap the same in them compared to GSRs and MRs, but with a tenth or two lower ET from weight advantages and a slightly simpler driveline IIRC.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Good kill. Those things are capable of high-12s and around 300lbs lighter than the other Evo 8s. .

EVO8s dont run high 12s stock. The new IXs do. The MR is not lighter than the over EVOs, in fact its one of the heavier ones. The RS model is the lighter of them and its only about 100lbs lighter. The MRs are about 3280.

Not suprised you beat a stock EVO from an 80 roll. Ive never even raced from an 80 roll lol
Old 08-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Electric
EVO8s dont run high 12s stock. The new IXs do. The MR is not lighter than the over EVOs, in fact its one of the heavier ones. The RS model is the lighter of them and its only about 100lbs lighter. The MRs are about 3280.

Not suprised you beat a stock EVO from an 80 roll. Ive never even raced from an 80 roll lol
Tom, I don't think any think anyone races from an 80roll, unless you have an AMG, LoL! Wait till you see the Evo X's coming out!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeSomething
Tom, I don't think any think anyone races from an 80roll, unless you have an AMG, LoL! Wait till you see the Evo X's coming out!

Yeah 80 roll is ridiculous... stock evo 80 roll... just dumb lol
Old 08-26-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Electric

Reading a magazine article I came across a claim it weighed 300lbs less, and after some lurking on an Evo forum I saw a 12 sec slip for a stock MR. No doubt as rare as a 12 second stock LS1.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Reading a magazine article I came across a claim it weighed 300lbs less, and after some lurking on an Evo forum I saw a 12 sec slip for a stock MR. No doubt as rare as a 12 second stock LS1.
He was saying that the older '03-'05 Evo VIII's dont run high 12's. The new '06 Evo's can get into the 12's fairly easy with the current record I believe to be a 12.7 or 12.8 stock. There also not 300 lbs less as that would put them under 3000lbs and the lightest RS model is still almost 3100 I believe.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

no it was an 8. I was all into them, as i was gonna buy one before i got my camaro.

Yeah 80mph+ sucks for me too. I'm A4 w/ 3.42's. My shift point for second is around 65mph, thats why i was pisssed to race from so high. If it was from there i would have pulled his *** harder. Oh well at least he has learned his lesson now.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was able to track down the source, and the article was written before the MR was released. It listed a 12.9@107, and that appears to be quite optimistic.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

If it was car and driver, they got a pre-production factory ringer (i think that same car went 13.08 in their high dollar sports car article, it was dubbed the Giant killer). So if it was an 8, it was most likely that ringer they sent out to the mags. SCC cofirmed this to be true when testing a production model after the fact.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

No EVO8 stock Ive seen has even gotten close to 107. Most have trouble getting 105. The EVO9s struggle to get 107mph bone stock. Very peculiar. I guess anything is possible though.

DJsanchez, are you stock? I assume stockish means a little somethin!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Of course i am . Close enough to it, unless you count the free mods, Lid, shorties, y-pipe, !muffler, gears, suspension work, DR's and tuner.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw an MR with only CAI and 89 octane tune running mid 13s at 109 at Moroso. The track sucks and he admitted he still wasn't getting good launches because it was fairly new, but he seemed like an honest older guy and said with CAI, and 93 octane tune they trap at ~112. I was very impressed when I heard that. AWD car trapping at 112 with 2 small mods? If he could learn how to take the beast off the line it's an easy 12 second car.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

WTF was he doing running 89 octane??
Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Ran an Evo 9 MR last night on the way home from the spot. BIG difference, we were almost dead even the whole time. From a 20 roll i spun twice, and had to play catch up. Their lowrange-midrange is not spectacular but their top end is ****** mean. Oh yeah and he was stock too. We ended up nose to nose on both runs, as regained lost ground from the start but could not pull past him.
Oh yeah, not an excuse but something that may make a samlll difference, i had my 260lb. brother w/ me and his car was empty. Just a side not, for observational purposes.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mpe488
I saw an MR with only CAI and 89 octane tune running mid 13s at 109 at Moroso. The track sucks and he admitted he still wasn't getting good launches because it was fairly new, but he seemed like an honest older guy and said with CAI, and 93 octane tune they trap at ~112. I was very impressed when I heard that. AWD car trapping at 112 with 2 small mods? If he could learn how to take the beast off the line it's an easy 12 second car.
If that guy tuned a car that requires 91 octane for 89 octane then he is a retard. By going to 89 octane **** he will not see as much timing advance right where he needs it at about 5K and he will be slower. I hope people are not spending tons of cash to retune a car for gas that makes it slower. Then again I heard about an Evo owner claiming to be running 12PSI.

He probably meant 91 octane tune, from Buschur racing or similar.

Search this Thread