reputable local shop for general repairs (DFW)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default reputable local shop for general repairs (DFW)

i have until sept 3rd to get my 88 GTA inspected and registered before my temp plates expire. it's getting to be more than i can handle with the time crunch, so i'm thinking i'm just gonna pay someone to finish it up for me.

mechanically, the car is good, it just needs sensors/electrical/emissions **** diagnosed/replaced for it to run correctly. the only serious thing is that it might have a bad injector, but hasnt been fully diagnosed yet.

money is a bit tight right now, so i need a recommendation of a place that will be honest and not take me for a ride. heck, if a member thats local thinks they can fix it for money/pizza&beer, i'll consider that too.

i'm in SW fort worth, and i dont want to drive it too much in it's current state, so the closer the better.

thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have posted about being on winscott road in benbrook before...if you are in that area often why not take it to SQR which is on winscott
Old 08-27-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, i would think SQR would be able to help you out
Old 08-27-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure SQR would want to take a car just to fix a check engine light/fuel problem Now if you want to put a bigger turbo on it....
Old 08-27-2006, 07:26 PM

SQR should help you out might want to give them a call first though
Old 08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was having abs/tcs issues with my car whenever they tuned it, and daniel diagnosed it for me.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

daniel had some lt1 in his shop that a guy was selling and was doing a presale inspection on. odds and ends... I am sure he can take a moment and give the car a once over.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, SQR is the first shop that came to mind, but i thought they were more of a performance shop rather than a general repairs shop. i sent daniel a PM to ask him if he can work on it. i really want to get the car finished this week, but i know they are pretty busy, so i want to explore all alternatives.

Last edited by slayer_taunu; 08-27-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

spoke with both SQR and TDP, and neither really do general repairs... so i'm back to the hunt.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

It's a 3rd gen, a whole different animal than what most of the local shops work with. That intake is a bitch to remove!

I can't really think of any reputable shops over on that side of town that I'd trust your car with. My Garage and Freedom Automotive have been open for years and don't rip people off but you might be getting in over their heads with a TPI car. Personally I'd trust Moritz Chevrolet over anyone else for normal repairs.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, thats the issue... i want to take it to someone that is familiar with the common problems of TPI cars. i'm afraid of dealerships cuz they seem to be younger mechanics that were trained on more modern stuff/warranty repairs, and not working on 145k mile cars with random problems due to age. also the last i checked, dealerships charge a lot more.

i was really hoping to just find a local member that's owned TPI cars before and knows them in and out and would be able to help me get it up and running quicker than if i had to schedule to drop it off somewhere... no luck with that so far though.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey if bp says moritz is good, then it is.
he's been around that area and in the game for a long long time.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
yeah, thats the issue... i want to take it to someone that is familiar with the common problems of TPI cars. i'm afraid of dealerships cuz they seem to be younger mechanics that were trained on more modern stuff/warranty repairs, and not working on 145k mile cars with random problems due to age. also the last i checked, dealerships charge a lot more.

i was really hoping to just find a local member that's owned TPI cars before and knows them in and out and would be able to help me get it up and running quicker than if i had to schedule to drop it off somewhere... no luck with that so far though.
not so quick to stereotype my friend...I've diagnosed and correctly fixed problems on cars older than me on the first shot (and im only 22 and been doing it for alittle over 3 yrs). Its not too difficult if you are willing to learn. I would help you out but you are too far away.