Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: What would make more power and throttle response?
Front mount turbo
93.75%
Rear mount STS
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

What would make more power and throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would make more power and throttle response?

Just wondering what the consensus is on these two designs in respect to power and throttle response only.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

wrap the exhaust all the way back to the turbo and ur spool up with sts will be nearly identical to a bay mounted kit
Old 08-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Restricted User

all depends on setup...and turbo housing (efficiency of it anyways) etc ...i just finished my custom rear mount and had crappy response with the housing i had used on the dyno(.96)...a day later i swapped with a smaller housing (.68) for cusiousity and troubleshooting, and DAM..throttle response got 1000x better..i get full boost like 2500 rpm earlier than before..and still have great power all the way to redline..car is only in the 380's rwhp and 415rwtq on 5psi...but hey its something...feels dam good to me lol cant imagine what any of these cars with 600+rwhp feel like
Old 08-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Restricted User

my car at start up (when its "cold") doesnt spool the turbo too well obviously because of heat, but once its at normal temp. (210* or so) and ive been driving for a few minutes and the exhaust pipes are all warm, the turbo spools pretty fast...i think im going to be wrapping my exhaust in the near future due to all the positive feedback ive seen from pple that have done it and noticed less lag and faster boost...its all about combination, there are a million diff. setups out there...just remember that if something works well together and others have proved it or experienced it, it WILL work well together...whether it be front mounted or rear mounted. im sure you've heard of PUREVILS 700+rwhp rear mount turbo setup? if u havent, well now u know its possible, and im pretty sure it didnt have supra-lag lol but anyways back to the topic at hand...
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
NKAWTG...N

This has been discussed IN DEPTH! This thread is on a very short leash. This is the one warning...second I see rear mount or front mount bashing its gone.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Restricted User

i guess the guy who created this thread didnt use SEARCH and no one is bashing just giving the guy the little bit of knowledge i have with my setup
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure he's used the search...

And I'm sure he would, and ultimately all of us, most value the input posted by shop owners that build turbo set-ups frequently... Of both kinds.

... Not front-mount people saying how great their turbos spool,or rear-mount people telling how their set-ups spool identical to front-mount set-ups. I'd like total unbiased posts myself... I hope respected shop owners chime in, i.e. Jose, Bob, TRT, GMR, etc.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt
This has been discussed IN DEPTH! This thread is on a very short leash. This is the one warning...second I see rear mount or front mount bashing its gone.

Rear mounts suck

Obviously the less distance the exhaust has to travel to the turbo, and then the air from the turbo to the intake will greatly effect throttle response.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes... And while things like smaller exhaust housings and exhaust wrap help to mimic the environment a front-mount set-up produces, it ultimately doesn... Well, I'll keep my dirty biased mouth shut.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSONE
Rear mounts suck

Obviously the less distance the exhaust has to travel to the turbo, and then the air from the turbo to the intake will greatly effect throttle response.
I would have to semi-agree

If wrapping the hot-pipes on a rear mount decreases spool time....why wouldn't it do the same for a front mount???? dur dur dur
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

it does...

But compare a wrapped FM to a wrapped RM now...

I like the fact that rear mounts are available... I wouldn't run one though. I gotta be lowered... Stock ride height SUCKS on an F-body... Look like damn 4 X 4's.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

if there was a considerable price difference between the two types of kits I could probably be convinced to get one, but in the end they are nearly the same price.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EH, I went rear mount on mine, don't ask me why, I kind of wished I would've gone front mount but it's fun either way, now it just literally sounds like a ground jet. It really boils down to smog laws I guess, if you live in CA, the **** police will come by and jack you if you don't have a CARB #.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I hear you about Cali... You guys have it tough.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

About Cali.....you just have to know the tricks of the trade......loop holes if you will

F the muffler police here.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
About Cali.....you just have to know the tricks of the trade......loop holes if you will

F the muffler police here.
Smog isn't an issue... It's the dumbass cops that get you a fixit ticket that gets you to the CHP station to have your car reviewed to make sure it's "street legal". That's when the **** hits the fan. =\
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

BuiltLT1 started this off of our other thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/566061-supercharger-turbo.html .... based upon our conversation where he chose to ignore my statement:
Originally Posted by longrange4u
Nobody that knows anything claims that rearmounts are just as good as a front mount (in performance... I like my AC so +1 for rearmounts)... and the sizing issue discussed is the AR size that increased the air velocity in an attempt to make up for the loss in velocity due to heat loss and air density. The trade off is reduced overall capability of the turbo (top end).
I voted for front mount... I am a rear mount supporter but you cant change the laws of physics. This still does not change the context of the original conversation. Stoleit: this is not a bash thread... it is a political spin thread from someone who cant be open minded to the performance differences of the two.

I never implied nor will anyone else that a rearmount will perform the same side by side with the same components as a front mount. Welcome to Physics 101.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by longrange4u
BuiltLT1 started this off of our other thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566061 .... based upon our conversation where he chose to ignore my statement:

I voted for front mount... I am a rear mount supporter but you cant change the laws of physics. This still does not change the context of the original conversation. Stoleit: this is not a bash thread... it is a political spin thread from someone who cant be open minded to the performance differences of the two.

I never implied nor will anyone else that a rearmount will perform the same side by side with the same components as a front mount. Welcome to Physics 101.

I still love you man... I've been on your side since day 1. Once coating/wrapping my manifolds back, to get the spool workin a little better I'm sure I would never wish I had gone front mount.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Smog isn't an issue... It's the dumbass cops that get you a fixit ticket that gets you to the CHP station to have your car reviewed to make sure it's "street legal". That's when the **** hits the fan. =\
There are even loop holes around the whole CHP ref thing. Just gotta know your ****.

Like I said.......
Old 08-29-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Your sig goes so well with what you just said, I'd swear that's the reason you put it.