Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help puttin tranny back in!!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help puttin tranny back in!!!!!

Got the new clutch installed and everything is cool, but we cant seem to get the tranny to slide back into place does anyone have any special tips on trying to do this? should i plug in the slave cylinder to relieve pressure????

any help would be appreciated
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem with my C5. I got it to within 1/2" and it wouldn't go any further. After about an hour of wiggling and pushing on the drivetrain I said screw it and started all the bolts on the torque tube and drew it together very slowly. Worked like a charm and no problems.

I did have my slave connected, but im not sure if this matters.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

ok i will have to wait for an extra hand. i can get it soo close and it will go into the clutch disk but the end of the input shaft will not go into the crank?!?

did u do it by your self or did yall have an extra hand?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT force it through the pilot bearing. If its goin through the clutch disk & everything is lined up, just start the bolts & draw it together slowly & evenly.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default tranny

I just went thorough this too. I had to loosen the pressure plate and realign the clutch disc and it fell right into place.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Banned

ok tomrw i will try and realign everything then try again. it seems to go throught the clutch disk just fine but it is only an inch or so short of puttin the bolts throught the tranny. hopefully everything will go in fine im ready to get this bitch running
Old 08-29-2006, 07:34 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

#1 Re-check your pressure plate/clutch disc alignment. The tool should slide EASILY into and out of the pilot bearing/clutch disc. I tend to throw a little grease on the input shaft. Not a lot, just enough...

I like to throw the trans. into gear by hand as well. I had a bolt in the output shaft last time that I could just turn by hand. This way you're not forcing anything, and you can "feel" the trans right into place.

#2 Obviously you don't want to force the tranny into the pilot bearing. If it's not going in with relative ease, stop and take a minute to figure out what exactly you're hung up on.

Does the car have long tubes? Do you have a jackstand that you can use? If you do, the tip of the day is to find a piece of wood and jack up on the front of the motor.

You don't need to crank the hell out of it. You'll wind up doing some damage on the back of the intake/coolant hoses/etc. Loosen up the bellows to the air lid so you don't put any stress on that either.

You can fit a small black of wood on the bottom of the crank pulley. You should just have enough room around the swaybar. Jack the motor up in the front a little bit. Now you can angle your transmission jack to that of the motor. It should go in with no problems.

Mind you these aren't a cakewalk to do. Just be sure you have your wiring harness for the trans., starter, etc. out of the way.

Another tip, is to use some emory cloth on the dowel pins. Just clean them off and this will also ease installation. Then you can go ahead and start a few bolts slowly. Just take your time and it will slide right in.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

yeah i would check the alignment of youre clutch i had that same problem because they had given me the wrong alignment tool so you should re check that.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I had a hand for putting the drivetrain back in because I have a trans, diff, and torque tube to deal with. Clutch swap on an f-bod would be a dream for me!

My alignment tool slid in and out very easily also. Just get it as close as you can and start the bolts. I also measured around the torque tube(trans for you) and made sure everything was even all the way around. Then I very slowly tightened up on the bolts in a criss cross pattern to draw it the rest of the way in. It should go in pretty easily. If you feel like your getting hung up then stop and recheck alignment.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Tighten the pressure plate SLOWLY. Criss/crossed star type pattern, and do it slowly/evenly. This will ensure that the shitty plastic alignment tool does it's job.

I usually go around probably 10 times before its even ready for the final torque spec.

Which brings me to another point. I tighten both the flywheel and pressure plate to their factory torque specs. Throw some loctite on all the above mentioned bolts.

The trans. bolts I'm not very particular on. Tights tight, too tights broke.

I'll keep an eye over this thread incase you run into any more problems.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Banned

sweet guys thanks for all the help i appreciate it. i will update u tomrw mornin cus i will be diggin into it again.

thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

finally got it all we did was put the drive shaft in adn i pushed and twisted the drive shaft and my buddy pushed it in and all went good and everything is fine...

thanks for all the hlep!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help puttin tranny back in!!!!!