Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so, is it possible that....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so, is it possible that....

is it possible that my longtube pacesetters have a default from the factory? i have had an exhaust leak since i put them in. the tick is so damn loud! it completely ruins the rest of the exhaust as far as the sound quality. i always thought it was where the collector went into the y-pipe. but after trying to eliminate the leak today, i realized it sounded like it was up a little higher on the header. but at the same time, when i pop my hood and listen for it near the flange of the header, it is completely obvious that they are sealed tight, and that the sound is coming from below the flanges. also, i used to have true duals, and even with a completely different exhaust setup, i still had that same damn leak with those headers (but i believe it is only the passenger side thats leaking).
So what i am getting at is do you guys think it is a totally rediculous idea that there would be a crack or primary that wasnt all the way welded to the collector? or is that possible? BTW, i bought the headers new in march, so they are not old and they werent harmed in any way while putting them in.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you used the gaskets that came with it....there is your problem. You want the stock mls style exhuast gaskets.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

start the car up when the headers are cold and feel for the leak.it shouldn't take long to find it,it's probably on the bottom side of the flange.just watch your paw when they warm up or you may get burnt alittle .
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Use a stethoscope or just a piece of 3/8 hose to help pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I agree with orangeapeel, the gaskets Pacesetter sends you with the LT's aren't worth the paper that they're made of.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had that same problem and thought it was headers. I was almost positive it was a leak. Well, needless to say I was embarrassed 5 months later because I unistalled and reinstalled all my plugs and put on new wires and it solve the problem. I had two plus that were slightly loose and when tightened it solved the problem. The ticking was very loud it it sounded like it was comming from the collector just as you described. If you listen close it kinda sounds like electricity. I know Im an idiot I just wasnt thinking. ut try that and it may clear it up!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

did you delete the AIR and EGR? If not , did you tighten the hoses to the headers tightly . Thats where my leak was.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

hey guys, thanks for all the tips...
i did reuse the good GM gaskets, not the crappy pacesetter ones.
yea, when i installed the LT's, i got rid of the EGR/AIR.
i am going to check my plugs today cause i replaced them when i did my headers, so maybe they have worked their way loose. i shoud have checked those previously before anyway.