Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken sprag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken sprag?

Ok, to make a long story short, tranny went out in may, took it to aamco, got it back "fully rebuilt" on may way home the next day broken tranny again.
Back to aamco, fixed it again.

Now a week ago, tranny started slipping on the first to second shift, got worse and worse. towed it back to aamco(different store) last thursday, talked to the guy today and hes says the sprag broke. the guy says "It didn't crack or bend, It just broke. That usually happens when you slam it in drive, like a neutral drop". Now I have never done a neutral drop in any car, let alone my T/A, why would I need to, its not hard to spin the damn tires!
Man that pissed me off.

How could this have happened, I asked him if it looked like they left the old one in when they rebuilt it the first time, and he said it was new?

What do you guys think?
Does this sound fishy to you?

JD
Old 08-30-2006, 06:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doen't sound like a very good rebuilt. There have been some issues with the SKF sprags. We use only Borg sprags and have very good luck with them with a low failure rate. I was looking at your mods and it doesn't look like you make that much rwhp to be having input sprag issues. We are running a 10% special through the 5th if you need anything. Take care,Vince.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well if the sprags either input or low had broken you wouldnt be sliping in 1-2 rather it would only start moving in manual low one and reverse if that tells you anything
performabuilt
Old 08-30-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is aamco
Old 08-31-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt.com
well if the sprags either input or low had broken you wouldnt be sliping in 1-2 rather it would only start moving in manual low one and reverse if that tells you anything
performabuilt
Well thats what happened when it got worse, it would go through 1st, then on the shift it would slip out completely. I was able to get it home by putting it in 1, going down a hill, when I got up to speed, i put it into N then into drive, and it cought in 3rd.

I knew after the transmission broke the second time taking it to aamco was a big mistake, but its all under warranty.
And I can't take it back now.
Im just making sure they are not trying to screw me over more....