Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Well I think it popped. You tell me....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well I think it popped. You tell me....

I've been pushing 10lbs on the stock block/heads etc.......basically the whole package is stock.

A few days ago I got an SES light. "Multiple Cylinder Misfire". The car smoked a little bit when I drove it, more when I boosted it. Today I looked under the hood and saw oil all over the underside of the hood and noticed the driver's side valve cover o-ring facing the intake had been blown out and bubbled. It was shooting oil in a mist into the compartment. This explains the oily/smokey exhaust fumes present in the cabin when I turned on the HVAC at low speeds. Otherwise the car runs/drives just fine.

Right now it smokes like hell, (it is not the scavenge pump, I've JUST rebuilt it and is working properly) a darker, dirty type of smoke. My buddy said it smells a bit sweet as well....I'm assuming antifreeze is being combusted. So I'm wondering if I lunched some rings and am pressurizing the crankcase, or have a cracked cylinder, etc? Anyone have this exact sort of thing happen? What would make the valve cover gasket blow out severely?

I am doing a compression check tomorrow to see where each cylinder stands. But right now it's looking like forged motor time. Just wondered if maybe it was a symptom I could easily fix to get it back on the road for the remainder of the year instead of tearing it down in late summer.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's a typical problem with the stock motors. You most likely have just a blown headgasket but the oil blowby tells me that you might have blown some ringlands too. It is time for a forged motor if so.
As for getting it back on the road for the remainder of ther year, if your head gaskets are okay and blowby isn't too bad then it may be drivable. Just lay off the throttle. I'm just speaking from my experience though since I ragged the hell out of my car when I had broken ringlands on # 5 & 7 pistons and it never gave out completely. It still made tons of power too without burning any oil. Maybe I just got lucky? I don't know.
I would definitely have a leakdown test done first to pinpoint the problem.
Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:30 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A lot of times when a ringland breaks off, it works it's way around to where it causes quite a bit of damage. We recently had one where the customer kept driving his car, and it ended up cracking the cylinder bore. Bob
Old 08-31-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much power were u making with that 10psi on stock heads and block? and how many miles did u get out of it?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, I would say you are ready for at least a good engine inspection to see what is going on. What color smoke is it making?

I am also curious how much power and how long it lasted under that boost.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
A lot of times when a ringland breaks off, it works it's way around to where it causes quite a bit of damage. We recently had one where the customer kept driving his car, and it ended up cracking the cylinder bore. Bob
Yep, when I brike a ringland off the top (nitrous) on a stock LS1 it cracked the sleeve also
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Ya, I would say you are ready for at least a good engine inspection to see what is going on. What color smoke is it making?

I am also curious how much power and how long it lasted under that boost.
Smoke just looks foggy, not really white, but very cloudy. I wouldn't say its totally blue.

I don't know the power, I never had it dynoed on 10psi....only on 8 psi. The car ran 11.60 @124mph, 1.92 60', @ 3840 raceweight. That'll give you the idea of the power it was putting down. And it lasted for just shy of 20k miles boosted. It started on a very beat-on 53k mile shortblock.

I'll be doing a compression check today to determine it further.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that Mike, but we all know it happens. Keep us posted on the inspection results.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like you are burning some coolant. Maybe it is just a headgasket, but might be more. You might do a leak down test also if you have the tools.

I have a very similar setup and was going to run about the same boost eventually. I also have a somewhat beat on 50k mile engine. My engine sustained a 150 wet shot earlier in its life. The fact you got 20k miles out of it makes me feel a little better. I hope to use my engine no more than 8k miles before a forged one goes in.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
how much power were u making with that 10psi on stock heads and block?
10 psi should be +/- 600r on an Incon
Old 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Yep, when I brike a ringland off the top (nitrous) on a stock LS1 it cracked the sleeve also
Mine did the same thing, top of the piston came off of #2, and 2nd ring land broke, but didn't go anywhere. #2 had a pretty long crack vertically down the cylinder. =\