Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would overheating cause a sqeaking and ticking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would overheating cause a sqeaking and ticking sound?

After installing the TRex I fired it up and it ran good. Then had some major overheating issues. The temp guage would go high enough to set off a check guages light then it would go back down. The temp did this for a while and after driving it like that for a while I found out the thermostat was bad so I put in a new one. I now have a horrible ticking sound and a bad squeak that sounds like it is coming from the piston that I have pictured bellow. I replaced the lifters and head gaskets. Could this piston be warped or something, or maybe I have a cracked or broken piston skirt? What do you guys think? I am already thinking the engine needs to get honed and rebuilt.
Attached Thumbnails Would overheating cause a sqeaking and ticking sound?-piston1.jpg   Would overheating cause a sqeaking and ticking sound?-passblock.jpg  
Old 08-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Launching!

From what I've read...

Overheating and a horrible screaching sound could very likely be a spun bearing. Check your oil for copper shavings.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

By looking at the pics it looks like you tagged a valve (unless those are some GM pistons with one valve relief) From your description you probably have a bent valve. As far as the oveheating maybe during the cam swap you didnt get all the air out of the system?