Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

ProStar 15X10 and rear end length

Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ProStar 15X10 and rear end length

Yes I searched, and found most of my answers, but obviously my search skills are not up to par because I still have a few questions...
I got a smokin deal on a set of Prostars from a buddy of mine. I never checked the b.s. on them before the purchase though and as it turns out they're 5.5", not 7.5 like they should be... But Weld is not filling orders so Im out of luck on buying the correct ones..
My buddy had them on his 97 TA for a while and they fit, but stuck out a little bit.
Since I have not yet ordered my rear end, I figure I could just get it narrowed to make these work.

The diff in B.S. is 2", so would I be correct in saying that I need the rear to be narrowed 2" per side?

What other issues would narrowing the rear cause?

I want to run a 28X10.5-15 MT slick... Considering the rear-end would have to be narrowed, will I need a mini-tub to have these wheels/tires clear the fender lip and everything else under there?
Also, with a tire that big, would I need to swap out my non-adjustable LCA's for adjustable ones? How about offset LCA's?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated... Id like to order my rear-end today or monday.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

First off, I believe Weld is in the process filing bankruptcy, I believe they sold off the Prostar and Draglight designs to Summit and Jegs because they are both offering them under their own names.

If you go 2" narrower per side teh tire will still be in the same location as if you had a stock rear with 7.5" BS 15x10. So you shouldn't have to touch anything more than you normally would to fit that tire on a stock configuration car. Probrably just trim the bumper alittle, maybe alittle banging, and possible rolling the fender lips. Or you could take 2.5"s off each side and suck the wheels and tire in alittle more. That would look badass and you "might" beable to do it with out a minitub or offset LCAs. You would probrably have to do some serious pounding and cut off the bump stop though. Adjustable LCAs are kinda nice because you can move the tire forward and backward in the wheel well but you can probrably do it with out them. If your lowered an adjustable PHB will be nessesary to relocate the rear and save you some headaches.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:41 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything GMMuscle said, but I want to add one thing: If you get your rear end narrowed, those rims will fit fine, but if you have any "street" wheels you want to run, you'll need to get them with a similar backspace. Maybe you already thought of that, I was thinking about it narrowing mine and realized my Z06 rims would be useless afterwards. Sacrifices......
Old 09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

TS6- Yeah I have thought of that, but my street wheels are stock painted firebird wheels. And my cars not gonna see too much street duty anymore. So Im not too concerned.

GM Muscle- tucking the wheels in an additional 1/2" is a nice idea... I too think that would look good.
Has anyone actually set there car up just like that (15x10, 5.5b.s.;rear narrowed 2.5" per side; 28X10.5-15slick)???
If so did you have to go to a mini-tub?

Another combo I think would be similar is a 15X10 8"b.s. 28X10.5-15 MT slick..

I dont mind beating/banging, cutting, rolling fenders, etc. as long as I dont have to mini-tub.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire67
TS6- Yeah I have thought of that, but my street wheels are stock painted firebird wheels. And my cars not gonna see too much street duty anymore. So Im not too concerned.

GM Muscle- tucking the wheels in an additional 1/2" is a nice idea... I too think that would look good.
Has anyone actually set there car up just like that (15x10, 5.5b.s.;rear narrowed 2.5" per side; 28X10.5-15slick)???
If so did you have to go to a mini-tub?

Another combo I think would be similar is a 15X10 8"b.s. 28X10.5-15 MT slick..

I dont mind beating/banging, cutting, rolling fenders, etc. as long as I dont have to mini-tub.
I would double post this is the drag racing section. You would probrably get a deffinate answer there. Since your only running a 10.5" tire I'm willing to bet you can tuck it in another 1/2" without having to mini tub, jsut a good amount of banging. Is the car lowered or stock heigth?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:21 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Your stock firebird wheels won't fit if you narrow, I'm sure you know that though.

I doubt you'd have to mini tub for a 10.5 (non W) tire if you narrowed the rear an extra .5". It might be close on the front side, but I'm sure a hammer will take of it. If you went to a taller tire a mini tub would probably be neccessary.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
First off, I believe Weld is in the process filing bankruptcy, I believe they sold off the Prostar and Draglight designs to Summit and Jegs because they are both offering them under their own names.
not to get off topic, but i hear their in the process of selling all their designs to American Racing.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can easily narrow 2.5" per side without any mini tub and run a 10.5" tire. i narrowed 3" per side but had to run a .5" spacer to kick the wheel back out. my tire was too wide.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
you can easily narrow 2.5" per side without any mini tub and run a 10.5" tire. i narrowed 3" per side but had to run a .5" spacer to kick the wheel back out. my tire was too wide.
Thats exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks Gator

TS6- I know the stock wheels would no-longer fit, unless I got some really trick spacers anyway... Im not too worried about that, the sale of the 6 Firebird wheels and 2 new MT dr's would be close enough to the cost of another set of wheels to get my fiance to allow it

Back to the slicks... I know they say tubes are required, but Ive seen and heard of people running without them. Are they abolutely necessary? Or will the tires loose air too fast?
And, since slicks are basically bias ply tires, do I have to run bias ply front-runners?

Thanks Again to everyone for their valuable input!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, after doing some measuring and such with my wheels mocked up on the stock length rear... I determined that the most I could narrow without offset LCA's was about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" per side. Or a total of 2.5-3"...
I went ahead and ordered the rear with 1.25 removed from each side. I honestly dont see how a 15x10 with the 28-10.5's would clear on a 7.5" BS, as literally there was only 1.5" to the LCA on my stock rear and 5.5" BS wheels.

Just an update, everything is on its way now so we'll see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ProStar 15X10 and rear end length