Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny tick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny tick?

I have a 94 formula, a4, i noticed today my slight tick noise is actually related to the transmisssion speed, not the engine speed, (does it in gear not in neutral) I previously passed this off as a loose rocker, it gets less noticable the longer you drive, seems to work and shift fine to me, anybody have any idea on how i can narrow this down, i weas thinking flexplate, my car has 42,000 and has sat for 6-7 years of its life with about 1k miles a year. It's stock down and I have had it for a year. Any input appreciated, dont want to get a new tranny or large amount of work later for a 99 cent part now, thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem similiar to yours.Jack the front of car up preferrably on ramps.Start the car up and climb under where the starter and bell housing for tranny are.There is an access panel there for flex plate, check the bolts on access panel making sure they are tight and place your hand on the panel which is next to starter,while car is idling.If its your flex plate you will hear the noise you describe and feel the vibration.It could be a cracked flex plate or loose and missing flex plate bolt.mine turned out to be loose flex plate bolt.

Quick Reply: tranny tick?