Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Paint Vs Coating Intercooler tubing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Paint Vs Coating Intercooler tubing

Guys I have a D1SC procharger with a FMIC, I have bought 3 J-bends from Performance curve and the material is Aluminized Stainless Steel. My question is I was wanting to get it Jet-hot Coated, but I am thinking about just using some type of paint for the intercooler tubing.
I have heard mixed things about coatings on intercooler tubing, and from mostly What I have heard it doesn't help the coolant effect that it would on say headers.
Bob at exotic Performance plus I have noticed you guys just paint the intercooler tubing with some type of Engine enamel paint??

If you guys use paint what do you use????
Old 09-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that paint would inhibit the cooling of the compressed air in the IC piping. Usually you jet-hot headers to keep the heat in the gas inside of the header. If you jet-hot IC tubing, it seems like you would be keeping the heat IN the IC piping. Just my thinking. Although there are coatings for IC tubing (HPC on the sts kits) for IC tubing. You just want a coating that promotes heat transfer.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't think what paint/coating you use on the intercooler plumbing matters that much. Most of the heat transfer is done in the intercooler. Yes, it would be nice for the plumbing to further dissapate heat, but then again you also don't want the plumbing to soak up engine/exhaust heat. Painting/coating the piping keeps it from rusting, and it can be painted to match whatever color your engine bay is. Bob
Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thanks, But what are you guys using to paint the Tubing?
What type of Paint?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds kind of ghetto, but I painted mine with some high temp rattle-can paint from pep boys. If you paint it with this stuff, let it set for a couple hours, then put it on the car and run it to cure it (or throw them in the oven). The paint came out nice with a rich color and little to no orange peel. besides, its cheap.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else with recommendations. Everyone else just using Engine enamel spray paint??
I wonder what a Powdercoating would look like???????
Old 09-03-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used paint on my intercooler pipes. I think a jet-hot type coating would be nice, but mainly for cosmetic reasons.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like paint on IC piping or headers - it always seems to chip, melt or burn away. I used this Jet Hot matte grey ceramicoat on all my post-SC piping on this motor, and its got about 6K miles on it and still looks very clean.
Lower Left grey tubing:

Resists scratches and doesn't seem to stain with oil or gas - washes off back to normal with Simple Green and water. Can be found at almost any decent size coater or plating shop locally. It was $100 for 3 pieces, and the one shown was the largest.

I don't think any coating is near as thermally good as a wrap. I am thinking about wrapping the post-IC pipes and making a heat shield for under and around the SC hat. I bet it will make a -10 degree diff at the IAT in the manifold at low speeds and at idle, maybe a -1 degree dip at WOT.

Any experiences with intake manifold coatings for an FI single plane aluminum Holley manifold? Like a Victor Jr. but EFI. Worth it? Inside, Outside or both?

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Last edited by DeltaT; 09-05-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 PM
7 Second Club

im wrapping my IC tubing between the IC and intake with the header wrap then spraying it with the HItemp heat sheild/glue stuff or whatever it is.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know people that wrap cold piping with heat tape to keep temps under the hood lower. Their theory is the cold pipes are quite hot and will warm the air in the engione bay. In his case, he had to much already.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I powdercoat intercooler piping for a company that builds turbo kits. As well a dyno shop near me that does a lot of Procharger kits, We re-coat over prochargers coating to this particular shops "house color".
Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you guys ever worried about anything FLAKING OFF inside the piping???

That there could cost us a Motor, but I think anything Stainless Steel would not be prone to doing that.

Mild steel Maybe.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

My intercooler piping was not coated inside originally, and I did not paint it inside when I put a coat on. Not sure about other kits though.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this back

I have my entire system finished all mandrel bent 3, and 4inch aluminum. I have cleaned up the aluminum some and it look pretty good.
Heres a pic

I am just wanting to leave it be and not worry about it, but my good friend and brother say I should have the aluminum tubing Jet-hot coated inside and out??? They think it will look better (probably would) but they say the biggest reason would be that it would keep the IAT's down??

My thinking of jet-hot coating is for exhaust and to keep the heat on the inside of the headers, I don't want heat on the inside of my tubing heating up the IAT's. I know aluminum dissapates heat rapidly, but I don't know if a coating is neccessary.

They claim that the coating will keep the engine bay heat from getting inside the tubing, and since aluminum heats up easily the coating will help, which seems like a valid point.

WHAT'S EVERYONE THINK??
Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have an opinion?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

looks great

I would just leave it bare alum. and we have not seen issues here by doing so. The looks is clean and simple and just scuff it up if you ever scratch it

Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool thanks Larry. I talked to Jet-hot this morning and they told me there coating wouldn't really help at all. I told them the heat from the blower is probably around 220 leaving the blower, but once it goes through the intercooler and the meth I am sure its probably below ambient.
He did tell me, if they did do it they would only do the outside and it would just be for the looks mainly. He advised me to polish it up and leave it alone, lol.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

had mine powdercoated. left the inside untreated.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

PC'd mine as well:

Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

cool

powder does look pretty and I'm a fan, but also like the scuffed alum. look

Quick Reply: Paint Vs Coating Intercooler tubing