Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think

Well I thought the rear main seal was leaking so I tore the car apart and I found a leak alright. The rear main's not leaking though, but the crank plug is and maybe the rear cover gasket too. As you can see in the pictures it's pretty nasty. The flywheel's hot-spotted a little (so it needs resurfaced), the PP is hot-spotted pretty bad (also needs resurfaced), but the clutch disc doesn't look too bad (but I'm still gonna send it to Centerforce to have them replace the pads, just to be safe). The one question I have is, in the pictures, do you think the rear cover gasket is leaking? I've inspected it and I can't tell for sure if it is or if it isn't leaking. But by the pattern of the oil spray it kinda looks like the top right of the cover gasket could be leaking. If you have an opinion either way please let me know. Thanks!!

Later
Attached Thumbnails Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think-car-002.2.jpg   Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think-car-004.1.jpg   Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think-car-016.1.jpg   Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think-car-039.1.jpg   Crank plug leaking and maybe rear cover gasket?? Pics attached, tell me what ya think-car-040.1.jpg  

Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Teching In

There is a GM service bulletin on rear cover leaks.Its due to slightly porous block castings on the rear cover sealing face.
Ciao
Old 09-02-2006, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. So what do need to do because of it. Do I need to replace the cover, the gasket, or is that just the way it is and I can't fix it. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Teching In

I believe the fix was to simply use silicon sealer on the block rear cover sealing face.
Pull the cover and clean the sealing face on the block and look for small areas of bubbles/porosity.
Ciao
Old 09-02-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man. I guess I'll pull the cover off and fix it up.