Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:53 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help- Energy Tranny Mount

Hi

Re 98 Z28, A4

After I installed my BMR adjustable torque arm and torque arm relocation crossmember, I was getting a bit of a clunk. I discovered the tranny was torquing a bit and lightly hitting the vertical mounting plate on the new crossmember.

I installed an Energy polyurethane tranny mount. I followed the advice on this forum. I left the pre-load plate off and I ground down the 2 pre-load bumps a little before installing it.

The mount solved the clunk and the shifting feels solid. However, it does vibrate a fair bit. Just woundering if it is because it has a harder bushing, or if it is the wrong hight and has affected the drive line angle. It appears to be a generic part for many different models.

Anyone have any experieince with it? I could try the Prothane unit, but it looks identical to the Energy unit. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks JA
Old 09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the prothane and get the same vibration. It is a harder mount and does not absorb as much of the vibration as the stock rubber mount. Plus I'm sure the new torque arm is probably giving some driveline vibration as well. In less it is excessive, I would not worry too much about it.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

You also might want to verify your new pinion angle with the BMR relocation crossmember (I have one). While your vibration could be the mount, the pinion angle is also just guess work with the relocation crossmembers til you can put a gauge on it.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:43 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for the help.

I reset the pinion to - 1 after I installed the new mount. The vibration appears to be more RPM related, as apposed to road speed, which sort of confirms it is from a stiffer mount.

I was quite supprised at the difference the tranny mount made. The shifts feel alot cleaner and the car seems to launch better. However, it may be my imagination working OT.

Thanks JA
Old 09-03-2006, 05:16 AM
TECH Veteran

I have similar experiences with the vibration. Not so bad in OD.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:25 AM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Yes on OD it smooths out.

Thanks.