Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weiand intake questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weiand intake questions/problems

okay here goes. bought a used weiand intake off ebay for an awesome price. finally get it put on, after a lot of hassle - the person didnt send the intake bolts, gaskets, etc etc that came with the intake new, so holley was nice enough to send everything to us. well we get it on and it seems like it's still sucking air around the intake (yea, we used to proper paper gaskets of course) because sometimes it idles a little high. normally the car idles around 900rpm, now it's idling around 950-975, and it takes a while to drop back to that rpm when you come to a stop - it wants to idle around 1100rpm for a few seconds, then slowly drops. it's also throwing an SES. had to take the intake off and put it back on a few times, because it was definitely sucking air before - throwing codes, would rev on its own when carb cleaner was sprayed around the intake base, etc etc. anyone else had any problem like this?? we used the torque specs for the factory intake - should we use more for that aluminum intake?? it seems like the bolts are already wanting to sink into the aluminum some... it also kinda seems like the car has lost some low end, it almost wants to stall out when you let the clutch out. i dont know if this is because it is sucking a little too much air or what, but it feels a lot stronger on the top end.

also, the intake came with no brackets. is it supposed to, like to hold the fuel lines and stuff?? we've kinda just got them pushed up over the coil packs in a secure place for now, thats all we could do.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Launching!

cmon guys, nobody??
Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

I had that piece of --it Intake, its real garbage, my custom tuning place would not even tune my setup unless I changed the Intake out. Mine also at first did not seal at all. You have to go threw and torque those bolts down in perfect order or it will not seal up. Also after about another 1000 miles a little more or less, it will need torqued down again. Very hard to get that Intake to seal right. I really would sell it, your gain if any is going to be very minimal. Alot of posts on this Intake with problems getting it to seal. I went with a FAST and love it. I would suggest a LS6 or a Fast, your bargain is for a reason, no one wants that Intake. TBryneMotorsports last time I checked had the high chrome polished one for a bit over 500.00 and still can't get rid of them. Sorry I had to rain on your parade, but I was very happy when I dumped mine off. Good news is, if you can get it to seal, it will hold up to a Nitrous shot rather well, haven't read any posts on these things cracking.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Launching!

meh, i never plan on nitrous. i've been looking at the typhoon intake, waiting to see some tests on it. i guess i'll leave the weiand in place until then. thanks for the advice though!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the intake gaskets are leaking. Did you use any RTV on the gaskets? If not, that's your problem.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the RTV nightmare, wait until you take those gaskets off using the RTV sealant, lots of patience scraping that garbage off. Again I'll say, bud, when you can, get rid of it a.s.a.p.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Your map sensor probably isn't sealed correctly in the back.

Remember that long screw that you hook onto part of the map sensor? You need to put lots of teflon tape around the sensor nipple and wedge it in. When it ***** slightly after being torqued down on the one side it will still have the seal.

I love my Weiand, after finding out about the common leak area and fixing it I've never had an issue with mine. It stands up to twin turbo abuse pretty good too.

Quick Reply: weiand intake questions/problems