Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with removing dip stick tube!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help with removing dip stick tube!

Ok, I am replacing my rear main seal this weekend and so far I have pretty much everything off of the transmission except for the freaking dip stick tube! I just cant get it out. I have the bolt out that holds it to the block and it just wont come out. Ive shaked it from the top and pryed at it from the bottom. Ive lowered the transmission/engine and raised the engine/transmission but it just wont come out. It keeps hitting the top of the engine compartment or getting stuck on a metal lip on the transmission.

Is there an easier way to get it out short of cutting it out?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Well if it helps...my oil dip stick tube that needed taken out for headers took me and 2 of my friends to get it out. One of my friends was on top of my car pulling and my friend was pulling him, I was pushin it up from the bottom.

I ended up just having to hit it upwards with a flatward screwdriver while they both pulled on it, took us in all honestly like half an hour to get that damn thing out.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Alright I got it out.. Dont know if it will go back in correctly or not though.. I guess we will have to see.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

When Im dropping trannys I dont even bother with the dip stick tube I just let it pull itself out when the tranny is almost down. I tryed removing the bolt that holds it in once before and I had alot of trouble getting the bolt back in. When I go to put the trans back in I just line up the dipstick hole with the tube as best as I can then the bellhousing lines up good also.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Damn! that sounds like a more practical way of doing it. Hell with the problems I am running into now with the transmission I would probably expect the tube probably wont go in correctly again when I reinstall her. By the way if you have 8mm hex head bolts holding the torque converter on you might as well just shoot yourself and save yourself the misery
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
Damn! that sounds like a more practical way of doing it. Hell with the problems I am running into now with the transmission I would probably expect the tube probably wont go in correctly again when I reinstall her. By the way if you have 8mm hex head bolts holding the torque converter on you might as well just shoot yourself and save yourself the misery
LOOK FOR TORQUE PLUS HEX SOCKETS MATCO SELLS THEM THE BOLTS COME RIGHT OUT. GM ARE USEING THESE BOLTS NOW (TORQUE PLUS)
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

sonax sells them also they are a must for these transmissions converter or bellhousing !
performabuilt
Old 09-07-2006, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
By the way if you have 8mm hex head bolts holding the torque converter on you might as well just shoot yourself and save yourself the misery
you already know how much i agree with that lol...