Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no reverse or nuetral in auto ta 95 i need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation no reverse or nuetral in auto ta 95 i need help bad

i have a 95 trans am a4 today i was driving and i saw a friend of mine and he reved his ricer so i put mine in nuetral and reved it. then about 5mi down the road i pulled into a parking lot and went to put it in reverse and it felt like it shifed but it wouldnt go at all and the car wouldnt roll it also wouldnt rev, it felt like i had the brakes on and had a stall park is the same way the car never dies but it wants to . nuetral is like another forward gear except on the highway it wil slip and rev alittle the other gears fell like they are working fine help me please. fluid level is also good when i start the war in park on nuetral it moves a good 6in or so
Old 09-04-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like you need to take it in and have it torn down for inspection/rebuild. Sorry to say it but when you lose any gear in the auto it's done. I lost my reverse and 2nd gear and it cost over a grand (thank god I had warranty still though, total from my pocket 200).

in my 4L60E book the trouble shooting for "Drives in Neutral" is to check 1)Forward Clutch for not releasing 2) Manual Valve Link being disconnected 3) Case for a irregular face or internal leakage.

For no Reverse it says : 1) Input housing assembly 2) manual valve link 3) Oil Pump Assembly 4) Valve body assembly 5) reverse input clutch assembly 6) Lo and reverse clutch

Since you have both problems the only common item is the manual valve link so you might want to start with that. Here are the pictures of it's location from my book. I highlighted it in yellow and everything you have to remove in Orange. It should go pretty easily if you want to take the time to do it, shouldn't need to remove the transmission for it. Look for any other sludge in the pan when you take it apart. And you'll have 10 check *****, make sure they aren't lodged in the plate as this could be your problem too. But this link looks pretty weak so it might be your problem. It's inside the case and you need to remove the filter, valve body, and plate. It'll be on some linkage on the left side, a small thin rod.

If you don't find anything wrong I would put it back together and take it to a shop.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is the forward clutches welded themselves together. I had the same thing happen to me in my old Jeep.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the help i am just alitle scared about tearing a tranny appart how far apart do i need to take it apart to do this also it wanted to go in reverse to day it moved about an inch or so then it stoped and felt like i had my foot on the brake and gas.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:01 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the pan on your trans. If it has a black film on the bottom of it sounds like it's beyond repair in the vehicle. Like other members said your forward clutch is probably welded together. We are running a 10% off special untill the end of tuesday. Might be a good option for you. Pm me if ther is something I can do.Take care, Vince.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cyamaha2007
thanks for the help i am just alitle scared about tearing a tranny appart how far apart do i need to take it apart to do this also it wanted to go in reverse to day it moved about an inch or so then it stoped and felt like i had my foot on the brake and gas.
for the clutches....complete tear down
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

foward friction welded togerther, its always in drive. it locks up in reverse and always moves foward any where else. shes fried
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed she is dead !
performabuilt