Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much time between installing lifters and setting pre-load?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much time between installing lifters and setting pre-load?

Well, I've heard that the lifters need to be sufficiently "pumped up" before you can accurately determine your pushrod length. I guess you can just pump them up by soaking them in oil, but how much time do you have to determine your pushrod length after installing the pumped up lifters? I'm just thinking that after installing the lifters, the heads have to be put on and torqued down, before I can put on a rocker and determine the proper pushrod length. Or can I throw in one pumped up lifter, and quickly "snug" down one head with the gasket and then determine my pushrod length?

Also, anyone know of a good write-up of how to determine the proper pushrod length using an adjustable pushrod? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering the same thing! Bumpity.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Also, anyone know of a good write-up of how to determine the proper pushrod length using an adjustable pushrod? Thanks!
With an adjustable pushrod it is easy.

Put the cam on the base circle of your number one.... ala compression stroke. Somewhere in between that.

adjust the pushrod until you get zero lash on the valve tip with the rocker installed and torqued to 22ft/lb....

Find out the length of the pushrod and add about .070-.090 for stock lifters as your preload. Some say add another .010 for aluminum blocks, but there is quite a bit of 'slack' in the stock lifters.

If you are running comp-r/morel/etc... you need much less preload and much tighter tolerance for error.