Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut camaro grille for better cooling?

Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut camaro grille for better cooling?

I know some people cut out the front part of their stock camaro front end for better airflow to intercoolers etc.... Im considering doing this to my car because it tends to run a little hotter than it should after I went to the single procharger supplied fan after the blower install...
my question is, there is a black shroud on top of the AC crap and radiator. (under where the wiper fluid reservior should be). am I supposed to remove this? it seems like it would allow more air to directly hit and pass through the radiator (ie: better cooling), but is there a downside? like allowing more hot air into the engine bay? or just something that I haven't thought of?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

If you take out the grill there will still be the foam bumper and bumper support behind it. You would have to remove those too.

Do you have a large front mounted intercooler or the two small ones to the sides? The front mounted one would be the only reason to cut the front of the bumper out. It's not going to help with engine temperature just intercooler temp.

The black diagonal shroud in the front directs air to the radiator leave it in. F-bodys get their air from the bottom not through the front.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Launching!

well the foam and wiper fluid reservoir are already gone... currently i have the 2 small intercoolers on the bottom, but i plan on a front mount eventually.... i don't really care about that though... i was just thinking that maybe as the car moves down the road that air would come directly through the front in addition to the air that comes up from the bottom... i need all the help i can get!
Old 09-04-2006, 03:58 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And behind the foam there is a big piece of metal.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
And behind the foam there is a big piece of metal.
reason i made my own big peice of metal there , or rather in the process. its going to be a straight shot for me...

im going to seal the top of the rad and a/c rad w/e off better so it goes through them and not over also..
i dont have any cooling problems im just taking most of the stuff of to make it more efficient or more room and less weight on the front end.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

did it help any? do you think doing all the work was worth it? I have a grille to put in front of the bumper, so that'll stop most of the large bugs... and anythign that makes it through will just crash into the AC condenser... (not too concerned with my AC at this point... )
Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

want a pic of mine when im done ? i plan to ***** my pictures of my aluminum fabrication.. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cut camaro grille for better cooling?