Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad TOB or do I need to shim?? Knocking coming from bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad TOB or do I need to shim?? Knocking coming from bellhousing

Just had the car up looking for leaks and you could hear some knocking coming from the bellhousing. I got a scope on it and its coming from right where the throwout bearing is. If I push the clutch peddal in the sound goes away because there is pressure on it now. So this leads me to believe its a bad TOB. But in Instal University site, they installed a Mcleod clutch and it cam with shims, mine cam with none. So I called Mcleod and they said you dont have to shim it and that they dont make shims for that clutch.... I have no idea. Basically I installed a Mcleod single disc and flywheel, Mcleod Master cyl. , NEW Slave Cyl, NEW TOB and did not use any shims. There is slightly more play at the top of the peddal before it starts to engage, and if I adjust the Master to no slack at the top of the peddal stroke then it releass way to high. Please any ideas would help!! As of now I have the play at the top of the peddal and it releases about 2in or less off the floor.

Sorry for the long post, need opinions on what to do. It isnt loud enough to hear from outside the car, just when under the transmission.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably because that Mcleod master is adjustable. You can adjust for it that way.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

yeah but even when I adjust it to take the slack out of the top of the peddal, it doesnt start releasing until way at the top of the stroke. On my last clutch there was a small amount of play at the top, now it is only a little more but not much more. What could the problem be, everything is new same with the TOB. I dont get what is going on here??
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

ttt, need some opinions on what it is
Old 09-06-2006, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

I think i have the same problem too.