Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

drag week thrash help...

Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drag week thrash help...

ok gentlemen, here goes. friday night i was getting my comp license and the car seemed to start blowing out spark. NGK 5672A-8 plugs gapped @ .030 and 18psi, 15deg timing. misfiring, showing itself running lean, and inevitably adding LOADS of fuel due to the closed loop control.

since then, i've ohmed-out the wires, tightened the snaps inside the boot, checked to verify everything's working as planned to no avail. i've also changed to NGK #3346 plugs gapped @ .025". what are the chances i've got a bad coil pack? the car runs well without boost, but when boost is added the tune goes to ****. it's not a fueling issue either, as i've watched the fuel pressure needle pass 60psi. does anyone have ideas? or maybe an extra set of truck coils i could at the very least try out, or possibly buy? i'm thinking of trying a .022" gap, but at this point i think it'd be a waste of time.

FYI the car went 6.35 @ 110.5 in the 1/8th on 16psi and TR6's gapped at .025"
Old 09-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Launching!

i just checked plugs, and put a small amount of oil on each boot to help with the 'bind' (they fit pretty tight) and noticed ONE plug on the driver's side wasn't showing heat like all the others (on the strap), and in fact looked pretty damn rich. could it be i have a dead/dying coil?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible you have something wrong but if I go anything colder then a -6 NGK heat range, even tried autolite 3922s etc, my car missfire pretty bad. I'm not sure if its just the spark blowing out or the colder plug geting a little fouled and not being able to light off whats there.

I spent all day a few weeks ago tracking down a missfire problem (you can hear it bad on the 2nd pass in the vid) and it turned out being the -7 plugs. Put the old -6 plugs back in that same night and ran 6.04 @ 115 the last two passes of the night and the car didnt miss at all. Next time to the track I put a new set of -7 heat range plugs in again and same crap so I'm sticking with the 6s lol.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/26a53...1d015ecb01.htm
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Launching!

god i love this website. that's what i will be doing next THANKS MAN!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: drag week thrash help...