Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions needed on mods install

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default opinions needed on mods install

well over the summer i didnt do much more then work and buy stuff i accumulated the following:
Heads/Cam swap with supporting mods
Headers and true duals
Pullies and tensioner
Injectors
Motor Mounts
Plugs/Wires
Rod Bolts
Shocks/Springs... and some other stuff that goes on other parts of the car

my question is since these mods are going in all at once, would you guys drop the whole subframe, or would you leave the block in the car? i have a 4-point chassis lift so i thought the subframe removal idea wasnt such a bad idea since i've never done a heads/cam swap and the mounts and rod bolts are gonna be a pain. what do you guys think?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd leave the engine in the car. Drop the k-member for the rod bolts, motor mounts, and headers. Do the up-top stuff first, but it would be a lot easier to take off the oil pump if the oil pan was already off.

If you were doing torque converter/clutch also I'd say pull the engine out.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
I'd leave the engine in the car. Drop the k-member for the rod bolts, motor mounts, and headers. Do the up-top stuff first, but it would be a lot easier to take off the oil pump if the oil pan was already off.

If you were doing torque converter/clutch also I'd say pull the engine out.
i'll be removing the trans to bleed the clutch out a little bit.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by qwikz28
well over the summer i didnt do much more then work and buy stuff i accumulated the following:
Heads/Cam swap with supporting mods
Headers and true duals
Pullies and tensioner
Injectors
Motor Mounts
Plugs/Wires
Rod Bolts
Shocks/Springs... and some other stuff that goes on other parts of the car

my question is since these mods are going in all at once, would you guys drop the whole subframe, or would you leave the block in the car? i have a 4-point chassis lift so i thought the subframe removal idea wasnt such a bad idea since i've never done a heads/cam swap and the mounts and rod bolts are gonna be a pain. what do you guys think?
Holyshit! If all of that is going into your car at the same time I would drop the motor and the tranny out from the bottom of the car and install them that way. You will thank your self for that later on when working on it. And just a FYI YOU WILL NEED A TUNE BAAAAAD after all of that stuff installed.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would 1st put the cam in which im sure you got push rods and valve springs.. thenput the pullies and tensioner on, do your injectors, the take the stock heads off, then before you put the new heads on go ahead and take out the plugs and plug wires, the slide the new headers into place, the put your new set of heads on and bolt them down and do the valve springs and the pushrods, bolt headers down, put your new plugs and wires on, then put the true duals on, then do the springs and motor mounts, thats just my .02 but man youve got alot of stuff.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

having that kind of lift, id deffinitely remove the engine. from under the car. if i had that kind of lift my engine would be out now instead of being on my drive on lift and still being taken apart in the car. most books on our cars say not to even work on the exhaust without dropping the engine due to it being easier then not dropping it, just make sure nothings hanging. the biggest reason to drop it would be the rod bolts change, i dont see that going smooth without dropping it.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

if it were me i wouldnt throw everything on the car all at once.. i mean YES it would be more of a hassle spacing the mods out a bit, but if problems should arise after an install it would be a lot easier and less frustrating to pin point the problems...? just my .02 cents
Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GET_SOM
if it were me i wouldnt throw everything on the car all at once.. i mean YES it would be more of a hassle spacing the mods out a bit, but if problems should arise after an install it would be a lot easier and less frustrating to pin point the problems...? just my .02 cents
ya true this is actually a good idea !!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GET_SOM
that is my biggest fear... but, my car is gonna be off the insurance and i hate having unnecessary downtime for my car during the nice season. i figure i've been researching alot and i have all the good supporting mods for the complete install.

as for the tune, the car will be getting a base tune before i start ripping it apart so when all is done i can start it right up and be happy

i think i will be dropping the motor just cause i am fat and have a big head and its harder for me to squeeze in the engine bay of a f-body. the trans needs a rebuild too so while its out of the car i might just have t56rebuilds do their stuff.

i feel like a kid again