Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure on Rebuilds

Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure on Rebuilds

I see a lot of guys doing rebuilds based on spun bearings. I could be an absolute idiot, but can't you just take some off the journals and then get undersized bearings and reuse the crank? I see a lot of guys upgrading, so is it just upgrading because after a few months you get normalized to the power and want more? Or is there something with the various stock and upgraded (say a 4340) cranks that you can't reuse them?

ie someone might have a 346 and do a rebuild and go to a 400+.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're doing a complete rebuild, you might as well spend the extra couple hundred bucks and go with more cubes.

I lost my first motor to a spun bearing, so I searched for a running shortblock. Found a 30k-mile one and put better rod bearings and bolts in it. I couldn't just put something stock back in my car, so I picked up a set of heads and a cam, headers, underdrive pulley, and all that fun stuff back in.

I was trying to keep the cost of my shortblock down if at all possible. I really really wanted to get a forged 347 (or even a 402 I was looking at was only a few hundred more), but I just couldn't afford it at the time so I did what I did.

As much work as it is to pull these motors, its so hard to put something stock back in its place. That was my reasoning. I'm already getting the itch to build a new motor to make more than the 421rwhp I'm at now.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could turn the crank and recondition the rods and all would be well. But most people use a spun bearing as an excuse to put forged internals in. If you intend on putting some big power down or doing some hard core racing, upgrading your internals is a good idea. If your car is a daily driver and you just play a little on the street, then a refurb stock bottom end will be fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Default like he said

Originally Posted by fast377
You could turn the crank and recondition the rods and all would be well. But most people use a spun bearing as an excuse to put forged internals in. If you intend on putting some big power down or doing some hard core racing, upgrading your internals is a good idea. If your car is a daily driver and you just play a little on the street, then a refurb stock bottom end will be fine.
This is exactly my thinking. I just recently spun a bearing in my motor, so now the whole thing has to come out and be taken apart. If I am going to do this I feel like there is no better time to go with forged internals than now. I race the car pretty hard so it will be nice to have that added insurance. Especially if I spray a 200 shot at it.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

like its been said, when most guys spin bearings they upgrade to a completely diffrent block. there have been several rebuilt LS1s around. in the situation you are talking about with a spun bearing you would have to remove the crank, have it at least polished, if not turned and then have all new bearings (including cam) put in. you wouldnt have to remove the pistons or anything if you didnt want to. im doing a stock rebuild as we speak, its going to end up costing me about 1600 or so. to me thats a pretty huge diffrence in price from just buying a diffrent short block.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While its tore down though I would be putting piston rings in ATLEAST. Why not of youre already there? Like I am doing, it will still be a stock short block with fly cut pistons but everything else will be upgraded as the chain, oil pump etc... Its nice insurance when you're already there. I just dont have money to forge it right now.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Teching In

How common is a spun rod bearing, is this something that happens all the time??
Old 09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Teching In

what can be done to avoid this on a stock 00 ls1?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

98 blocks have oiling problems due to a oil passag on the back of the block. This was revised 99+. The only thing you can do is keep your oil changes up to par and dont run your car hard for long periods of time. A upgraded oil will help solve most issues but always make sure your oil is full.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
98 blocks have oiling problems due to a oil passag on the back of the block. This was revised 99+. The only thing you can do is keep your oil changes up to par and dont run your car hard for long periods of time. A upgraded oil will help solve most issues but always make sure your oil is full.
Was yours a 1998 , reason i ask is because im doing this swap on my s14 from an SR and i was hoping to not have to worry about rod bearings anymore. The build date on the car my engine is coming out of is 12/99. You did mean upgraded oil pump right?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

the update happend in 00. and no, its actualy in the rear of the block it hinders oil flow
Old 09-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cop Car
the update happend in 00. and no, its actualy in the rear of the block it hinders oil flow

forgive my true igonrance on this but will my block have it being a 12/99, or what can be done to do the correction to my block?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

i dont know how to fix it in the block. Slo-240sx said he was going to try and correct it or something. i, however, know nothing about it. i just know that 97-99 motors are prone to spun bearings in the 7000rpm range because of the poor oil return

Search this Thread