Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is the throttlebody bypass worth getting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the throttlebody bypass worth getting

i was considering getting the tb bypass, but i dont know if it works well or how it will do with winter on the way
Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

by itself its not as impressive as it is collectively with other small mods and "free" mods combined. If you do some things like t/b bypass, ram air/cold air, lid w/kn, bellow, balancer, timing, ac delete, weight reduction, then they will add up to something noticeable on the track! So I say do it as long as thats not the only thing being done to the car mod wise. I think it will be fine in the winter.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

will removing the lid do as well as just gettin a k&n cai, also i already have a airhog airfilter, it improved my gas milage, not sure about hp, but it was about the same $ as the k and n, will it work just as well. Is there any special way to go about removing the lid, anything i should know, kinda new into modding my car. im planning to buy an intake, airfoil, hooker supercompetion longtube headers, and im changing all my fluids to royal purple this week. Im getting a shift kit and tranny cooler today also. On my lt1 all motor application id like to dip low 13s, preferably on 273 gears. The only mods on the car right now are a flowmaster 2 chamber muffler, and a hiflow catalytic converter, and the airhog. Does the muffler or cat really make a power difference?

Last edited by erickeown; 09-05-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

TB by-pass is pointless as a mod, it will yield no noticable HP. The idea behind it is improved cruise mpg and emissions control. It has ZERO to do with winter or freezing of the TB.

I have never seen any REAL proof that there are gains, the only dynocharts ever shown are the ones from BMR (who sell a TB by-pass kit ). These results are inconclusive and actually show the highest HP with the highest intake temps which totally contravens their whole point.

Personally I would only perform this mod if I replaced the TB with one which doesn't have coolant running thru it. It's easy and should cost no more than $10. All you need to do is disconnect each pipe and join them together (or replace with a single pipe) and secure it out of the way.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh you have an lt1. Well the intake ducting is different than an ls1 which is what I thought you had, my mistake. I would just go with the cai, nothing wrong with that, always the best way to go to me as long as the filter isn't located in a spot where it will get soiled too quickly. Like i said it isn't much by itself, but collectively a lot of little things may give you something noticeable in the end. Its amazing what some of the bolt on only cars can do without touching the heads or cam. As for the mods you want to do they sound like a great start, and will definetly get you to hit the low 13's you're looking for. I bet you with some minor intake work, manifold, Lts, ory, catback, gears, sticky tires, you can hit a real good 13.2-13.4 @ 104-105. After all that, think about a dyno tune to get your engine dialed in.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would do it i did mine not that you will feel a difference or anything but there has to be some help from it.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an excellent write-up on the throttle body bypass. I only did it so I don’t have to deal with those two rubber hoses every time I remove and reinstall my throttle body.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

after everything is installed i do plan on getting a dyno tune, i was wondering what kind of hp gains i would get from tuning
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did it just so when i take the TB off or the intake i can do it faster. you will not gain any power from it.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

damn i love installuniversity.com! I did it just to help keep the air cooler which I guess is the point of it. And now that Ive been taking my TB on and off so much, its way better that I have it done I guess
Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

I was told you don't gain horsepower, but it keeps you from losing some, especially at the track. The throttle body stays cooler when you're hot-lapping and not giving the motor time to cool down. It makes sense to me.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

get rid of the flowmaster and that would be a mod in itself....yea i know, it sounds mean but doesnt flow very good
Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00slowredz
get rid of the flowmaster and that would be a mod in itself....yea i know, it sounds mean but doesnt flow very good
plan on doing a cutout, it sounds really good