Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny problems need help

T-56 on an 02 Camaro z28 w/pro 5.0 (sorry long story)

I was driving to my parents house and casually shifted from 6th to 5th to pass someone and then tried to go back to 6th and when i went into 6th it just grinded with the clutch still in, so i tried to put it back in 5th and it wouldn't go, so i kept pumping the clutch and finally got it into 6th and coasted to my parents house. Then off the interstate the stick was stiff and didn't want to go into any gear i managed to mash it into first and drove to 4th, tried shifting to 5th and it popped out.

Finally got to my parents house and the stick wouldn't move at all. let the car cool for a few hours and took the shifter off(pro5.0) nothing looked wrong, got it back on, rocked the car a little and broke free the stick and it was shifting into all gears fine.

Decided to drive home...1-4 was working fine. hopped on the interstate and tried to skip 5th and go to 6th...just grinding...hit the gas and nothing. put it in 5th and it held in but when you hit the gas the shifter moved like it was popping out but stayed in. got closer and it started locking up again so we gave it a rest again then limped it home, while in 1-4 there is some vibration type noise but they worked, 5 pops out and 6th is non existant. reverse is fine.

Any Ideas?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

bent shift fork sounds right, or you could have a hydro issue, first step for me would be to bleed the system and change the trans fluid. if you see metal, continue into the tranny tear down, most likely you had the stops on the shifter set wrong, then over time you bent a fork. hope this was any help. good luck with it, I have been having clutch and trans issues my self.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Launching!

hmm, i dunno, i just put the pro 5.0 on and it's been working fine, the stops were adjusted according to the instructions...strange...but you are the 2nd person who said something about a hydro issue...possibly master cylinder messing up. i'll drain the tranny and refill. hopefully it isn't something where i'll have to tear in to the tranny.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bump.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds similar to what happend to me tonight, except mine did it in 4th and sometimes 3rd. When ever i shifted into 4th it got stuck and would not come back out with out some muscle. And the thing is, I just got my car back from the shop last weekend. He put in a LS7 clutch, new slave, and a new master and of course bled the system. So i dont think its a hydro issue for me because it got stuck in 4th a few times before the new clutch and hydros too. Im sure i have a bad 1-2 syncro, probably a 3-4 and a bent shift fork or 2. It just sucks thinking i have to spend more on my car after just spending a **** load on it for the clutch,hydros, headers and all.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Teching In

hi guys im new here, I just bought a 00 ws6, this happened to me tonight too, it would not come out of 4th gear, finally it did though it drove fine until I pulled up in my driveway it got stuck again, Ive had the car for 2 days and put about 3 hundred miles and it, never any problems until tonight when I was racing my brother, is there anyway this could be just the clutch im hoping? thanks a lot
Old 09-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Also it never grinded going into gears, but it got stuck twice on the way home, and when i was trying ot force it out of gear it felt like it went into neutral but then the stick was real tight just like m6speed but it would go into fourth. I hoping this is the clutch, please help!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Launching!

i'm hoping mine is a hydraulics issue, my clutch fluid is a milky black color, doesn't look like normal brake fluid, so i'm thinking maybe some water got into it. no clue, hope to change out the fluid soon and see if it does anything.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by m6speed
i'm hoping mine is a hydraulics issue, my clutch fluid is a milky black color, doesn't look like normal brake fluid, so i'm thinking maybe some water got into it. no clue, hope to change out the fluid soon and see if it does anything.
Your fluid sounds to be breaking down. mine was the same color and i changed mine when i put the new clutch in.

i also grind going into some gears, have a prob with it popping out and won't go into gear at higher RPM. so i'm down to syncros and shift fork i need to replace!!!!