Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crank pulley help!

well 2 days ago i was getting some belt slippage when i noticed my power steering and electrical charge where poor/low. Today i go to do an oil change and fix that problem at the sametime..I come to notice what my problem really is and that is my crank pulley was starting to WALK! I check the bolt and its lose I mean finger tight and I could move the crank pulley itself. I back the bolt off and pull the crank off. I snapped a few pix so the experts here can take a look and see if im in trouble. On the snout of the crank it feels like a small groove was put into it, and the washer of the crank bolt shows wear on it too (being it isnt black anymore). Please take a look at this and the pix and tell me if I can just bolt the pulley back up and torque her down. I was told to take measurements but im a little confused as what to measure. I have to measure to see if the crank pulley has lost its fitment. THANK YOU!!!

On this pic notice the other "washer" like metal underneath the actual washer...its been awhile since this piece was put on but I believe that has broken off of the crank...am i right??

Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

any1...ttt
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Prolly didnt get it all the way on there from the beginning, try using a half inch air impact wrench and put that dude back on thier.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:59 PM
On the tree

That pulley and bolt are not going back on there. The inside of the pulley looks damaged to me from the second to the last pic. The extra piece on the bolt is from the pulley.

At this point i would cross your fingers and hope the crank is not damaged, if it is not then all you are looking at is a new bolt and pulley. The opening in the front of the crank should only be big enough to fit the end of the bolt in the with not much play around the edges. Ifnyou ahve more than that then the crank is done as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
The opening in the front of the crank should only be big enough to fit the end of the bolt in the with not much play around the edges. Ifnyou ahve more than that then the crank is done as well.
Do you happen to know this measurement?? this is what my uncle was telling me to measure, and was not sure what he was talking about. I hopefully caught it soon enough...started to notice this only a couple days ago and did not drive on it at all. when i get home i will use the bolt i have and thread it to see how it fits...also it is an arp bolt should i raelly get another one? and that second piece of metal is what?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Does the crank pulley slide the whole way on by hand now? Or do you have to use a bolt or install tool to fully seat it. I had an ASP pulley start slipping on mine. I've also seen others do this.....and they all have been ASP. I don't mean to jump the gun here BUT.....maybe it's worth looking at.

I know how to install a pulley as I'm sure Vandall does as well. Haven't had an issue since I put the stocker back on.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

when i pulled it apart, i had to unscrew the bolt by hand...it had backed far enough off to where it was easy enough to do by hand. i looked at all the threads and they seemed to be intact...i have yet to try and seat it again but i do remember having to seat it and whatnot. tommarrow i am going to try and see what will happen when i try and seat the pulley tomm. so jay have you seen anything really bad happen because of this, or just a simple swap back to the stocker? id like to retain my aftermarket pulley if possible, but from the looks of this pulley im going to have to get a new one and was thinking of getting an ATI unit.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

ttt...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A small gouge wont hurt anything. If a ridge has developed, youll need to take that down with a file or something. Might want to put a few drops of loctite on the bolt next time.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Same thing happened to my friends car with the same pulley. We tried locktite and torqued the sh*t out of the bolt. I kept coming loose. Get the SLP pulley because it is made of steel. That is what we did to his car and it has never come loose or slipped again. Just make sure you use an installation tool and do not just hammer it on. It tends to mess up the thrust bearing for the crank.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VaNDaL*SS*
so jay have you seen anything really bad happen because of this, or just a simple swap back to the stocker?

It didn't do any harm to the crank. I just put the stocker back on until I have enough cash to get another. If you can push the ASP on by hand it's gonna slip if you reinstall it.

After seeing one more ASP slip....I think I'll go with another brand.