Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Trans Am (Engine problems)

Old 09-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am *UPDATED* (Engine problems)

I live in the UK, and I'm looking at buying a 1983 Firefird Trans Am - 305 5.0L.

Apparently the car has some problems (what car doesn't). the car apparently cuts, out and the engine has intermittent problems, it also smokes when first starting up, but after its been running a while its ok. I spoke to my local mechanic, he says it seems like its a problem with the electronic's, he mentioned the 'Engine Management System'.

To me this means nothing at all. My good friend who is an expert on this type of thing is away on holiday in Kenya (Typical), so I can't ask him. So I thought I'd come to you guys and hear what you have to say on the matter.

Basically how much do you think it would be to repair this type of problem? What parts should I be looking for. Are these parts available from the YearOne catalogue.

*Update!!!!!!*

Also found out the car has problems changing gear and doesn't go into gear properly (That sounds like a big problem, that would cost a bit of money).

HELP!?

Last edited by jameslhart; 09-07-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

83 birds have carbarators so I doubt that its an electronic concern. the only thing electronic on the carb is the choke, ac kick up, and idle control valve. It sound more like a base engine problem like rings. Id have the compresson checked
Old 09-06-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smoke on start up = worn valve seals, not too big of an issue, most gen 1 Small Block chevy motors have this problem when they get older

Maybe it has a problem w/ its ignition system (coil, distributor, distributor cap, spark plugs)
Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Teching In

How much to get the above sorted would you say?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

83 Trans Am had the option to be carbed or have Cross Fire Injection. CFI is the 2 throttle body injection. Common called "Cease Fire Injection". Is it computer controlled and could be the source of your problem. I'm not to familiar with the CFI, but I would refer you to www.thirdgen.org for either setup. This is what Cross Fire Injection looks like. -->

Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Teching In

*Update!!!!!!*

Also found out the car has problems changing gear and doesn't go into gear properly (That sounds like a big problem, that would cost a bit of money).

HELP!?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

find a diffrent car.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont buy it.......Unless you are ready to put some work into it........
Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Teching In

The whole idea of buying the car would be to restore it to its former glory. Its going for £375 = $703, and I'm willing to pay £500 = $940. All depends on the state of the tranny, good thing is the car is only 5 min down the road! I know people say "Find a different car", but you guys don't have any idea how rare these cars are over here.

I'm going to speak to the bloke selling it tomorrow, but what do you guys think is the problem with the tranny.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Default A problem is a problem

Why buy a car with problems at any price? I can tell you from personal experience that 1982 was the year from hell for anyone that bought a new Trans Am. They lived in the shop for weeks on end. Just dogs!! How much better could the 1983 have been? I remember the '82's well since they were the NEW kid on the block and everyone had to have one. BIG mistake. I doubt GM did that much with the '83's. I'm shocked that you actually have located one in the UK that is still running. It's a miracle!
Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jameslhart
The whole idea of buying the car would be to restore it to its former glory. Its going for £375 = $703, and I'm willing to pay £500 = $940. All depends on the state of the tranny, good thing is the car is only 5 min down the road! I know people say "Find a different car", but you guys don't have any idea how rare these cars are over here.

I'm going to speak to the bloke selling it tomorrow, but what do you guys think is the problem with the tranny.
The transmission is probably shot. It will need a full rebuild and that should run around $1500 in the U.S not including the labor to remove/replace.

Even if the car wasn't having issues they are very slow. You are about to buy a money pit... Everything on that car is going to be worn out. Even if he didn't drive the car much you still have to imagine all the rubber seals/shocks/suspension bushings getting hard (and failing) on a car that's 23 years old.

If you don't know how to work on that car yourself you are going to go broke on the labor alone and you'll still have a slow car (by today's standards) to show for it. Leave that one alone, trust me. ~Joshua
Old 09-10-2006, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

don't buy it...save up and get a 4th gen car...even if it is a 93...my 91 is nice, but it is old and when you have a lot of miles on a car...stuff is bound to break sooner than later....if you are going to get a 3rd gen get ya an 89 tt.....
Old 09-11-2006, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

I'de say if you really like it that much, then go for it. Just take these peoples words into consideration when making your desicion, but theres no better tool than ambition. I bought my 1980 without starting it. Stupid? Some would think so, but I know what I want out of it and am determined to do what I must to make it just that. If it's what you really want and you get something else, how much do you think you'll like the new? Do what you want!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Am (Engine problems)