Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me Everything you KNOW about 5.3 ported heads and nitrous on a 226/226 cam

Old 09-06-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me Everything you KNOW about 5.3 ported heads and nitrous on a 226/226 cam

Good setup or no??

I like compression. I like light valvetrain..... I like the gas.

I dont plan to mill em. I am debating on going with Dual Springs. I am never going to spray more then 150 on this engine.

Heads should flow around 290ish cfm at .600 iirc?

2.02 and 1.57 valves.

I know the runners are shorter than the ls6's.... but I am looking to make a torque monster. I already have more tq than horsepower with my cam. i am around 385/390 now... where will I be??
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Longer runners will build more low-end TQ, shorter ones will add high end HP. The diffrence in legnth between a 5.3 runner and a normal LSx head should be negligable. The 5.3's do have smaller comustion chambers, therefore, your compression will go up. Gains from the heads will depend on who did them, but I'm sure the valvetrain will now be heavier if your swapping from true LS6 heads with sodium filled stock valves. Personally, if you already have LS6 heads, I wouldn't swap to a 5.3 head. You may gain a bit with the ported casting, but I'd be willing to bet most of the gain would be from the compression hike. I would think your LS6 heads, with a clean up port job and valve job could out flow the 5.3's, then you could mill them for the compression and be ahead for less. JMO
Old 09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Longer runners will build more low-end TQ, shorter ones will add high end HP. The diffrence in legnth between a 5.3 runner and a normal LSx head should be negligable. The 5.3's do have smaller comustion chambers, therefore, your compression will go up. Gains from the heads will depend on who did them, but I'm sure the valvetrain will now be heavier if your swapping from true LS6 heads with sodium filled stock valves. Personally, if you already have LS6 heads, I wouldn't swap to a 5.3 head. You may gain a bit with the ported casting, but I'd be willing to bet most of the gain would be from the compression hike. I would think your LS6 heads, with a clean up port job and valve job could out flow the 5.3's, then you could mill them for the compression and be ahead for less. JMO
I have 241 LS1 heads on now.....

Search this Thread