Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random newbie engine questions

Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random newbie engine questions

Hey guys,

As many of you, especially GuitsBoy, may know, I have this thing where every once in a while I have to ask those questions that everyone else seems to automatically know the answers to when they're as into the hobby as most of us are. Well, it's one of those times again where I have to ask these things. Here's one of my patented numbered lists that I've become so good at making...

1) This one has been bothering me for a while. When you have detonation in your engine, it's because the A/F mixture is detonating before the spark on its own due to a combination of the heat and the compression. If it's detonating before the spark, then why does retarding the timing of the spark cure detonation?
2) In a carbeurated engine does the A/F ratio stay relatively constant no matter what RPM or throttle it's at? If not, how does it vary?
3) What were the other questions that have been bothering me all day that I suddenly can't remember? I'm sure I'll post them up soon.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauge
Hey guys,

As many of you, especially GuitsBoy, may know, I have this thing where every once in a while I have to ask those questions that everyone else seems to automatically know the answers to when they're as into the hobby as most of us are. Well, it's one of those times again where I have to ask these things. Here's one of my patented numbered lists that I've become so good at making...

1) This one has been bothering me for a while. When you have detonation in your engine, it's because the A/F mixture is detonating before the spark on its own due to a combination of the heat and the compression. If it's detonating before the spark, then why does retarding the timing of the spark cure detonation?
2) In a carbeurated engine does the A/F ratio stay relatively constant no matter what RPM or throttle it's at? If not, how does it vary?
3) What were the other questions that have been bothering me all day that I suddenly can't remember? I'm sure I'll post them up soon.
1. By retarding the spark, the fuel is ignited later on, and the partiallly uncombusted fuel helps cool off the cylinder. Conversely, pinging will not only hold the fire in the cylinder longer, the fact that it combusts while its still being compressed makes for an insanely hot burn, hence the melted sparkplug electrodes and bits of piston tops.

2. Carbs are usually decently accurate as air flow changes, except for during transients. There are other mechanical elements that help add extra fuel when the air flows faster than fuel flow can catch up. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor for more than you probably wanted to know.

3. The answer is eleventy billion. I too forgot the question.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
11Second Club

4) How exactly do you define a misfire? Simply no fire at all?
5) Can you give me a real specific definition of a spun bearing? Since I believe that bearings inside the engine are typically two parts, I assume they simply rotate around, but what makes that such a problem?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Teching In

rod & main bearings are thin metal sleaves.the bearings roll on oil moliculs.the bearings do not move. if thay do move past the tangs then you have a spun bearing
Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4) Yes...

5) Normally a bearing will stay in place as stated above, and the journal rides on a cushion of oil. If you take that cusion of oil out of the picture, now you have contact and friction. This chews up the bearing surface and usually results in teh contact spinning the bearings out of the original position it was installed in. The contact chews up the bearings resulting in metallic flakes in the oil.

Search this Thread