Driver liscenses

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver liscenses

This may be stupid, but its just a thought. As I was whining about whatever in another post, someone came up with a pretty good idea.
Im sick of paying huge insurance rates for my sports cars just cuz some kid cant keep from wrecking his. These days you can learn to drive in a Mini Cooper and crawl into your grannys motor home and drive it with the same liscense.
What would it take to get something going? A class of liscense or even a course showing that you can handle a high HP vehicle? A defensive driving type thing or even a different type of liscense? Just because you have a sports car doesnt mean your gonna speed, but then just cuz I have a semi doesnt mean Im gonna pull a load cross country, but I need a different liscense to drive one. Why should I, and the insurance companies, have to pay for some kid who cant handle their car?
Does anyone know how the TXDOT system works and what it takes as far as getting something approved? Im sure Im not the only one who agrees with this?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're trying to make a molehill out of a mountain. There would be a HUGE list of stuff that would have to happen and what the state would have to do to get something like this approved. Why would the state care about saving you any money by spending more of theirs?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just check with your insurance company to see if they offer a discount if a saftely course has been taken. This is an insurance deal, not a state deal.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this isnt germany... the police/revenue drones in the US will NEVER accept the fact that 'high performance' and 'safe' can be used together. we all know that just because you are driving fast doesnt mean you are driving unsafe. and yes, you are correct that just because you have a high performance car doesnt mean you are going to speed... but the police/revenue drones see the two as being synonymous, especially if you are young... cuz we all know cops are fair and unbiased
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

just buy a v6 car and drop an ls1 or lt1 in it

that will save you lots of $$$$$ on insurance
Old 09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95 N2OT/A
just buy a v6 car and drop an ls1 or lt1 in it

that will save you lots of $$$$$ on insurance

Absolutely. The VIN stays the same.