Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP header Q mainly about welds.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP header Q mainly about welds.

I have SLP headers. Im getting a weird noise like a rattle in 3rd gear ( shifter in third, auto ) at about 2700 or lower rpm ish just when it shifts into 3rd. It almost sounds like a gear rattle or exhaust rattle but have ruled out the rear end as the cause. Its hard to pin point were its coming from but its seems to be closer to the rear end. But if its in the exhaust it can travel from front to back. Has SLP ever had a problem ( breaking )with the small welds that hold the pipes together 1/4 down from the main flang ?
A tech dude seems to think its one of the welds vibrating at just the right rpm and resonance.
Any ideas or thoughts.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
I have SLP headers. Im getting a weird noise like a rattle in 3rd gear ( shifter in third, auto ) at about 2700 or lower rpm ish just when it shifts into 3rd. It almost sounds like a gear rattle or exhaust rattle but have ruled out the rear end as the cause. Its hard to pin point were its coming from but its seems to be closer to the rear end. But if its in the exhaust it can travel from front to back. Has SLP ever had a problem ( breaking )with the small welds that hold the pipes together 1/4 down from the main flang ?
A tech dude seems to think its one of the welds vibrating at just the right rpm and resonance.
Any ideas or thoughts.
Thanks
Check the heat shield on the cats (they pop loose easily), also check for exhuast leaks, especially where the cat attaches to the header.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

ive never heard of a problem witht their welds... but i guess i couldnt say for sure...?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

The only rattleing I get, if any is my Borla I pipe going over my axle... It rubs slightly... can't hear it since the LT's...

I'll have to take a listen tomarro..

What CB do you have? .... My Borla only rattled in a certain gear and RPM too..
Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

I think we have pin pointed the rattle to the headers. I think one or 2 of the small welds that hold some pipes together have broken and vibrate when they reach that rpm and in 3rd gear. Damn I don't want to take those things off to get them fixed. Jeeees
Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Its looking more and more towards the T/C.

Quick Reply: SLP header Q mainly about welds.