Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 guys running FTRA or other CAI

Old 09-08-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A4 guys running FTRA or other CAI

Any of you auto tranny guys running a tranny cooler and the FTRA? I've read once or twice that with a tranny cooler some of the CAI's don't fit due to lack of space. Anyone got any info?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a trans cooler mounted on the infront of the AC condencer. I also have the free ram air mod which i think is useless all i do is suck up crap and hot air. I dont think i would waste my time with the FTRA, for the money i dont think you would notice that much of a difference.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to disagree. The FTRA will definitely help bring up better air to your car. In fact, I will be getting one soon and I will run into this very problem. Does anyone have pictures of where you placed your trans cooler to get it out of the way in order to install their cold air or ram air kits? Please post them.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

have the FTRA and I love it. i also have a trans cooler mounted "dope style' that lets me keep the cooler and the ram air
Old 09-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

could u please like take a picture of your setup so I have something to go by when I do this
It would be much appreciated
Old 09-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Launching!

I've also got both. I mounted the trans cooler vertically beside the FTRA and brought the TC hoses out through the chin spoiler. I drilled holes in the spoiler, put in silicone grommets to prevent chaffing and ran the hoses through the spoiler.

It was a very tight fit but after I got it in it was easy to secure and works like a charm.

I also laugh when I hear people pass their opinion on a mod that they don't actually have. If you doubt the benefits go to www.installuniversity.com and look in the tech articles section where they test the FTRA. Some good info which shows that it actually lowers the IAT byabout 11 degrees.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put my tranny cooler between my radiator & ac condensor. You cant fit the b&m 24K there, but it is possible to find a thinner one that will fit like I did. I don't remember the brand i used (I think it was a 20k). I remember someone here telling me that you can mount it "dope style" where it is mounted paralell to the ground, but I didn't like that approach. You might be able to search and get more info.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

ive got a tranny cooler but no ftra.. since you drive a camaro look up the 'SUX2BU mod'.. you may be able to run that and a tranny cooler, im not 100% sure.. this may help you, good luck tho

Search this Thread