Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should be prowling the streets again on Monday Night

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should be prowling the streets again on Monday Night

My car has been down for a few weeks now due to a stripped out starter. I guess all the heat from LG's pro longtube headers finally caused a malfunction in the starter. I am guessing it stuck while engaged or something because when I went to start it up all I heard was a NASTY screech like grinding sound. I thought oh ****!!! I pushed the car out of the garage (how embarrasing) and saw little metal shavings underneath where the starter bolts up. I know that a starter swap is pretty simple for someone who has all the tools and some free time. I have no tools, and have been working 16 hr shifts 4 to 6 days a week, no off days either. No time to fix. Well the OT has come to an end so I am going to tackle this 60 min project, wish me luck. I was told by V-Series Tech (thanks bro) to undo my right side header bolts and collector clamp then hang the header from the frontmost bolt to allow it to swing out of the way and give me more room to work on removing the starter. Sorry run on sentence. I hope to God its only the starter and no damage has been done to the flywheel. Anyone that has had to do a starter swap on a C5 corvette with longtube headers please chime in so I can get some tips on what you had problems with if any. Tell me it was easy, that's what I hope anyways. I don't need any problems, I just need to get back on the street and to the track before the season comes to an end. Thanks to everyone that posts helpful info. I appreciate any advice I can get. Once she's on the street again, the vids will be posted of some soon to happen races, and my first track visit in over 10 years. Again thanks to everyone that helps, and wish me luck at the track. Peace
Old 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lots of people looked at my post, but no responses. Has anyone had an issue with their C5's starter going out on them?? How easy was it to fix? Etc, etc. etc

Thanks....
Old 09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

NO HELP HERE....but..I sure hope u get the problem fixed..G'luck man.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I will stick with the good advice from V-Series Tech. No one else seems to have had any starter issues on their cars yet. Thanks anyways.