Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What is your definition of a "Good Driver"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your definition of a "Good Driver"?

All right, I hear people everywhere saying that a race could be a driver's race and all that, but what is a good driver to you????
a) A dude that knows how to launch and when to shift
b) A dude that can shift gears quickly
c) A dude that knows how to put the automatic transmission in Drive and press the gas pedal like crazy
d) Something else

Some people say that if you drive an Automatic car, you are a loser that sucks at driving. Let's hear some sh...
Old 09-08-2006, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

E. All of the above

serisouly tho, a good driver can rip a car in blazing times in the 1/4 mile stock, then he could be put on an auto x course and within 1 lap, have the car taking turns at its fastest possible rate
Old 09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
E. All of the above

serisouly tho, a good driver can rip a car in blazing times in the 1/4 mile stock, then he could be put on an auto x course and within 1 lap, have the car taking turns at its fastest possible rate

Uh...thats a bit much, I have been road racing for years and I still can't turn laps at the cars fastest possible rate. To do that, you would have to be one of the best drivers in the world.

Last edited by CTSVSL65AMG; 09-08-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

to paraphrase...

Good Driver = Best Driver in the world.

To me a good driver is ... Evan Smith..

Or someone like Justin Moser (I think that was his name) that can jump into ANYTHING and turn an awesome time with little effort.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:54 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

A good Manual driver knows how to launch a car with very little wheel spin and being able to get out of the whole good and be able to speed shift the gears and not miss gears..
Old 09-08-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phoenix82
c) A dude that knows how to put the automatic transmission in Drive and press the gas pedal like crazy
hahaha, you obviously have never driver a high horse power (relatively speaking), stalled, automatic. There is a little thing called traction, and a little thing called throttle control. Although it is not like driving a manual, not just anyone can jump into an automatic car, and 'just mash the gas'.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the most general term...

A good driver is one who has excellent control of his vehicle and is fully aware of his/her surroundings. Whether it's shifting, wheel-spinning, steering, braking, lane-changing, etc. all determines the skill of the driver.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

^^Agreed.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sdm1234

A good driver is one who has excellent control of his vehicle and is fully aware of his/her surroundings. Whether it's shifting, wheel-spinning, steering, braking, lane-changing, etc. all determines the skill of the driver.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=jpat1023]hahaha, you obviously have never driver a high horse power (relatively speaking), stalled, automatic. There is a little thing called traction, and a little thing called throttle control.

What do you mean? "Never DRIVER a high horse power" Well, my car may be slow but I wouldn's say that is a slow bug . Of course that I know about traction too. I just want to know what people say about the so called "Good drivers." Some people just think that because a car is automatic, it does not require a lot of skills from the driver. I honestly disagree because even my grandma knows that stock cars can spin the tires if you are not careful with the throttle.
Probably my question is for drivers with Manual trannies.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

typo, nice of you to point it out tho...now I can't go edit it! lol.

Some people just think that because a car is automatic, it does not require a lot of skills from the driver.
that is the vibe I was getting from you, that is why I posted. But since you have now clarified that you are asking about manual trannies, I will refrain from adding anymore input about autos.

Anyways, I don't think "good driver" needs much explanation. But if it did, well, with the help of these fellow board members that have posted above, now you know.

btw, I like the priorities list, specially how sex is at the top and girlfriend is at the bottom. haha.

Last edited by jpat1023; 09-08-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EXACTLY
Old 09-08-2006, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

In a variety of vehicles as well.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jpat1023
hahaha, you obviously have never driver a high horse power (relatively speaking), stalled, automatic. There is a little thing called traction, and a little thing called throttle control. Although it is not like driving a manual, not just anyone can jump into an automatic car, and 'just mash the gas'.
Well put.

Ive put well over 20K on my Z28 since purchase, and I have owned a couple manual's too. I am still getting used to the 4L60-E. Ive gotten good with it, but as crazy as its sounds, I still learn from it.

Ive become very good at walking the car sideways.
Not fishtails, just hold it steady sideways
Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

In terms of your average street race, its the guy that guesses pretty well what kind of surface he/she is on and how aggressive to slip to clutch and get on the gas. And how high an RPM to start at.

Roll racing really does not require a good driver. Your average driver can shift fast while going in a strait line. Screw ups there are usually just nerves. Now if you break loose at 50, then your talking about skill again.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by phoenix82
All right, I hear people everywhere saying that a race could be a driver's race and all that, but what is a good driver to you????
a) A dude that knows how to launch and when to shift
b) A dude that can shift gears quickly
d) Something else

Some people say that if you drive an Automatic car, you are a loser that sucks at driving. Let's hear some sh...
Good driver=Experience at the wheel, racing or not&safety
Priorities in life: #1SEX-#6GIRLFRIEND #2TRANSAM. Does this mean you are having sex with your car??
Old 09-09-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Best driver I ever saw was sitting @ a light getting a BJ while the guy next to him sped off to race the wind. That video's on here somewhere & it's by far the most talented display of driving I've ever seen (the guy sitting @ the light, not the joker who took off).

Actually, the best drivers are the guys or gals one learns from while in the process of racing 'em on an oval or a road course. You won't even have to ask, you'll just know who they are. Bottom line; the best driver's learn by racing in a racing environment that doesn't exist on the street. Same goes for drag racing. Although, drag racing is more of a mechanics race than is track racing, the best drivers have learned by racing.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

[quote] Priorities in life: #1SEX-#6GIRLFRIEND #2TRANSAM. Does this mean you are having sex with your car??

Having sex with my car? that was funny! Well, let's put it this way, did you ever think about having sex with your girlfriend and/or another girl that is not your girlfriend? I got in trouble with my girl for saying that, but it's all good.
Also, I just did it to **** her off since she always complains that I spend more time with my car than with her. She didn't talk to me for a couple of hours after she found about my signature, but she got over it.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Well put.

Ive become very good at walking the car sideways.
Not fishtails, just hold it steady sideways
I guess that I need some lessons from you. Some of my friend do that with their manual cars and I'd love to show them that an A4 is fun too.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

not just driving skills but a good driver has to be able to know his own car mechanically and have pretty good knowledge of his opponents cars (cobras,imports, etc.)