Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sts High Boost Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Sts High Boost Problem

I recently went to use my high boost(7psi) on the switch and the car will only go up to 5psi and start missing very very very bad. It seems like it will no go past 5psi. I never had a problem with it before in the past. The guy who did the work on my car no longer works there. I think I might have disconnected a wire when I was cleaning up the engine bay with wire loom. So those with the sts kit what wires do I look for (color) high boost that would cause that problem. I'm also running methonal injection with the high boost. - I have a 94 -lt1 but the ls1 style sts kit
Old 09-08-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try going over all intake pipe hoses and adjust and tighten them that always helps me with probs like that.

~Guy
Old 09-08-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
try going over all intake pipe hoses and adjust and tighten them that always helps me with probs like that.

~Guy
^^^Like he said, it sounds like a loose coupling.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're bleeding boost, check the coupler between the MAF and TB if you're still running an active MAF tune. Mine got knocked off in the wreck back in December and when I'd go to boost it up, it'd run mad rich and darn near fowl the plugs. Check for a split somewhere, sounds very similar.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Sounds like you're bleeding boost, check the coupler between the MAF and TB if you're still running an active MAF tune. Mine got knocked off in the wreck back in December and when I'd go to boost it up, it'd run mad rich and darn near fowl the plugs. Check for a split somewhere, sounds very similar.
Yeah but the car runs great on the low boost 5psi all day long. No missing or anything. Wouldnt the low boost be giving me problems if that was the problem. It only happens on the 7psi. The boost gauge will stop right a 5psi and miss very very bad only when I turn the high switch on
Old 09-09-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

They are telling you that when you switch to the higher boost setting, the additional boost is is likely "leaking" out somewhere...check all of your couplings to ensure that they are fully coupled and tight.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoatChs
They are telling you that when you switch to the higher boost setting, the additional boost is is likely "leaking" out somewhere...check all of your couplings to ensure that they are fully coupled and tight.
I will check them out tomorrow. Now that you mentioned it my car was in the shop and they did have to remove so pipes to install my rearend and clutch. I'm thinking that could also be the problem now that I think about it. - Thanks for the help everyone - Mike
Old 09-10-2006, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope it turns out to be something ridiculous like a loose coupler or something. Keep us posted Mike!

Tony
Old 09-20-2006, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

any updates on the problem????
Old 09-21-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems like everything is on very good and tight. I'm just wondering what the problem could be now
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

So you say you're running meth on high boost ,but are you running it on low boost? Has it been tuned with meth on high boost? Sounds to me like you might be squirting meth in and going pig rich...just another thought. Good luck,

Brian
Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your wideband say (you are running a wideband right?)
What's your plug gap at?
Have you read your plugs?

Every problem I have had with stuttering has been one of 2 things, too much fuel or plug gap is too big causing spark to be blown out or a combination of the two.

If you don't know what the gap is pull them all, regap to .025-.028

If you don't know what the a/f is, get a wideband installed, borrow one from a friend, etc. Very important to know.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is pulling strong on low boost, it sounds like maybe you were right when you asked the question. Maybe your high boost solenoid is not activating to allow the boost controller to take over. It should be a single wire and is probably run right along in your wire loom that goes to the oil pump. It is usually a green wire. Check that.

You can also have someone go back and either listen to or put your hand on the solenoid and then flip the switch and see if you hear it click or feel it click.

Sounds like the high boost solenoid is not activating but the methanol is, which is dumping a shitload of fuel (methanol) that is not necessary for 5psi and the car is choking out! Just my .02. Otherwise, yeah it might be a leak somewhere....
Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re:

Yeah the car will run great all day with low boost @5psi no meth inejection. As soon as I hit the high boost switch to run 7sp (Meth injection) - The boost will climb all the way up to 5psi and start missing very bad. I was watching the boost gauge and it would just stop right there at 5psi. I checked all the clamps,hoses and there all tight and on really good. I never had a problem with that 7psi switch till recently. It worked great in the past - no problems. I was detailing the engine with wire looms and stuff like that. It seemed after that the problem occured. But I did not see any loose or disconnected wires. But I will look for that green wire and see what I can find.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by detroit_903
Yeah the car will run great all day with low boost @5psi no meth inejection. As soon as I hit the high boost switch to run 7sp (Meth injection) - The boost will climb all the way up to 5psi and start missing very bad. I was watching the boost gauge and it would just stop right there at 5psi. I checked all the clamps,hoses and there all tight and on really good. I never had a problem with that 7psi switch till recently. It worked great in the past - no problems. I was detailing the engine with wire looms and stuff like that. It seemed after that the problem occured. But I did not see any loose or disconnected wires. But I will look for that green wire and see what I can find.
Simply check to see if that solenoid is working...if it is hooked up and has burnt out (which i doubt but anything is possible) then we can get you a new one...
Old 09-24-2006, 03:20 AM
Launching!

do u still have the stock valve springs in it, i was reading a article in pontic mag, an they were doing sts setup on a 01firehawk they were having the same problem, exact problem, no difference in what you said and the mag said. they up dated them with ls6 springs an they had no problem running 7psi. ive got ls6 springs in my car an i run 7psi also. hope that helps, you could always call sts an ask if thats the problem
Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

i am still confused what this "high boost switch" is.....

do you have a boost controller to crank up the boost?

sounds like the "switch" might just be changing something in your tune and not your wg...which is why you are only running 5psi still
Old 09-24-2006, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

its what the one guy said....the meth is drowning out the motor...you need a tune for the meth/high boost.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Launching!

i say valves, valves, valves. my two cents, also on my controller it goes from 0-15psi with just a turn of a allenwrench. so i wouldnt say that would be it. what this article was say is at the high boost the valves would start to float off the seats, but under low boost it would ride normal, i telling you dude talk to sts they would no all about it, or hell talk to a performance shop they would no also.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe he'd still see 8psi with stock valves but valve float would instead contribute to making low hp. It should still boost to 8psi. Im with cablebandit and the meth issue. Call TRT or EPP and see what they have to say.