Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be my best bet for Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would be my best bet for Duals?

I have an ORY and a Hooker catback on my car now and it sounds ok, but I really don't like the rasp, and the other stuff isn't too great. the best part about it is the sound level. Maybe just a litle quiet, but still pretty good. I am thinking about getting a true dual system now and I'm wondering what my best bet would be. I'm a college student so I would definitely like to keep the cost as low as possible for what I want. I would like it to have a very deep sound to it, thats what I like the most. It has to have NO rasp, I've found that I hate it . And I would also like it to go out the back. What do you think my best option is?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When i put my kooks lt and my td there was no rasp and i had cheap $20 autozone mufflers that came with the td (i got it from a guy online who custom made the td with 3" mand. stainless and ran out of money so he had to put cheapy mufflers for a temperary fix but changed his setup insted) i was supprised how nice the td sounded even with cheap mufflers, no rasp just deep bass sound and got louder the more i pushed on the gas.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

So, other than finding a guy thats already made a cheap custom one online what could I do?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Oh, i forgot, I would like it to not be extrememly loud. Not a ton louder than my current setup if thats possible with TDs. Thanks again to anyone that helps me out.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
So, other than finding a guy thats already made a cheap custom one online what could I do?
What's your budget? You can go buy a cheap one from TSP or more expensive through bassani (what I have) or fab one of your own.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look into finding a decent exhaust shop to fab some up for you. I paid around $500 for mine out the back. You can choose various mufflers to meet your needs/wants. Bullets/Flowmaster 1-chambers/Sweet Thunders are pretty damn loud. Magnaflow 4X9's/Borla XR1's are quieter and smoother sounding. Flo-Pro Twisters/Moroso Spiralflows are kind of in the middle. All will sound really good but with different tones/volumes. I advise that you get some good pics and take them to a shop and have them fabbed to your car so you get maximum clearance.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, now I have a bunch of questions... I like the idea of of getting duals out the back for $500 . First off, where did you get yours done? Was it a big brand muffler place like Beck, or was it some small local one? Also, are there any disadvantages to going under the axle like that? Would there be much a price difference between an H like yours and an X(would there be any rasp difference for an X/H?)? Also, of the two quietest mufflers you listed(Magnaflow 4X9's/Borla XR1's), which one has those most deep and powerful sound to it?

Thanks, this is a pretty big decision for me comsidering I'm in college and just put this exhaust on this summer, only to already redo it... So thanks again.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Could anybody else answer any of those other questions for me?
Old 09-09-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out the stickied threads about true duals.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, now I have a bunch of questions... I like the idea of of getting duals out the back for $500 . First off, where did you get yours done? Was it a big brand muffler place like Beck, or was it some small local one? Also, are there any disadvantages to going under the axle like that? Would there be much a price difference between an H like yours and an X(would there be any rasp difference for an X/H?)? Also, of the two quietest mufflers you listed(Magnaflow 4X9's/Borla XR1's), which one has those most deep and powerful sound to it?

Thanks, this is a pretty big decision for me comsidering I'm in college and just put this exhaust on this summer, only to already redo it... So thanks again.
The sticky at the top of the page will answer all those questions for you. My opinion is as follows: I went to a small shop that did good work. Bigger companies may not be as willing to make a "custom" setup.

For some more cash, you can get the pipes run over the axle which is the best bet overall, but expensive. Under the axle is viable, but lifting the car can be a pain if you don't include flanges to remove the section under the axle. I have flanges so no problems here.

H or X ought to cost relatively the same. X is supposed to make more peak horsepower but this is not always the case. H is supposed to give better under the curve power...once again not always the case. I would pick the one you want based on what sound you are going for. X is a more racey sound while H is deeper (I've heard both and the sound difference is minimal but noticeable). I have zero rasp with my H-setup, not sure on an X setup.

Of the two quieter mufflers I mentioned, I'd say Borla has the deeper, smoother sound. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

That does help a lot, thanks. Sounds to me like I want an H... More under the curve than peak hp, I don't really care much about that seeing as how I haven't even dynoed my car yet. I also like the idea of the more deep rather than racey sound. I would prefer a deep powerful sound over the other option. Also sounds like I'll be going Borla, and then over or under-axle will just depend on the $$$. There aren't any real problems with going under you said right? I just want to make sure I have all of this 100% right before I go and spend hundreds on it. lol. thanks again.

Oh, I forgot, what do you think about pipe diameter? 2.5" or 3"? I'm going to probably end up with the lid, LT headers, duals, ls6 intake, and *maybe* a torque converter and *maybe* a cam eventually.

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 09-12-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

anybody? I'm going to try to go over there in the next couple days and would like to know exactly what i can tell him so I can get an exact quote.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

2.5 is fine. the borlas alone will be a lil over 200ish. most places around here charge around 70 an hour for labor. I don't know about your area, but you'll probable spend a lil more than 500. it all depends.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Default Have you checked this out?

Just wondering if you have considered this set-up? Using a MIG welder isnt too tough if you have access to it or just take it to a shop.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku (if it doesnt work, go to the exhuast page, at the bottom)

I am considering doing this. If anyone else has used this one or the one similar on JEGS could you let us know please.
(hope I posted in the correct place)

I have an ORY and a Hooker catback on my car now and it sounds ok, but I really don't like the rasp, and the other stuff isn't too great. the best part about it is the sound level. Maybe just a litle quiet, but still pretty good. I am thinking about getting a true dual system now and I'm wondering what my best bet would be. I'm a college student so I would definitely like to keep the cost as low as possible for what I want. I would like it to have a very deep sound to it, thats what I like the most. It has to have NO rasp, I've found that I hate it . And I would also like it to go out the back. What do you think my best option is?

Thanks