Sponsored by:

Lunati springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lunati springs?

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of my cam swap and have run into a slight issue. I bought some Lunati springs/retainers along with the cam off a member on ls1.com, and though they are LS1 specific, I can't seem to find much info on them by way of a search. (I know, I know....should've searched before I bought them )

Anyway, the cam is a 224/224 .581/.581 - would it be safer to just cough up some extra dough for a more well known and trusted spring like the 918's? Just wondering if anyone has tried Lunati springs and what their impressions were. Appreciate the replies.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Nobody has any experience with Lunati springs? Hmmmm.... perhaps that answers my question.

The difference in seat pressure between these springs and Comp 918's is only about 5 lbs though, and many people are running 918's on this or similar cams with great success. So theoretically, the Lunati's should be pretty safe, right?

Here is a link: http://www.holley.com/73943

Let's say I did ditch the Lunati's though -- would I still be able to use the 10 degree Ti retainers and locks (also Lunati) with 918's or some other spring? Or is it necessary for all parts to be brand-consistent?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Nobody has any advice?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Here's my experience, for what it's worth. I bought a set of used heads off a member here, and was told at the time that the Lunati springs were "good up to a .650 lift." Supposedly these springs only had about 3,000 miles on them and I was running the exact same cam as you, so I figured I was good.

About a month after the head install, one of the intake springs broke. Like you, I coudn't figure out just what Lunati spring I needed to replace it, so I called Lunati. The guy I talked to said for sure they didn't make a spring good up to a .650 lift, and using one of their springs with even a .581 lift was pushing it.

I'm lucky I didn't do some serious damage to my engine when the spring broke. I bought some 918's and I advise you do the same.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Retainers should be designed for the spring and conform to the inner radius providing a snug but not tight fit. So the simple answer is buy the 918's and the matching retainers. Throw on some machined locks as well, good insurance for the system that take about the biggest beating in the motor. The question is, do you have the correct seats for the 918's?

PS: I just don't trust used valve springs, the consequences of a failure are just too much to save a hundred or so buck.

Good luck.