Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lost to 2 Evo VIIIs, need more mods!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Lost to 2 Evo VIIIs, need more mods!

I was out cruising around tonight with a buddy in my car and we came across a guy in a blue Evo 8. We came around a turn and as we got back on the highway, I was getting ready for him to line up. He's coming up from behind, gets in front of me, then starts slowing down again to line up and as soon as I'm ready to beep (@ about 40mph) he just nails it and takes off. We're like WTF He got at least a 1 car jump on me before I went WOT. So I nail it to try and play catch up, but he pulled hard. I got up to about 95-100 w/ him about 5 cars ahead when we shut down. I catch him at the next light and asked what he ran and he said high 11s. I told him he had a fast car and we went our seperate ways. I just wish we could have went again from an even roll.

2nd run was against a gray Evo 8 and judging by the looks and sound, it obviously wasn't stock either. He was ahead of me and I was right behind him. So not really expecting him to do anything, I nail it from behind @ about 30mph and get in the next lane to the right. He nails it as soon as I get in the right lane and we immediately heard his turbo screaming. I start to pull and as my nose gets to about his front door, he sloooooowly starts to pull and I drop to his rear bumper. I started reeling him in on the top end and would have kept pulling, but we had to shut down b/c of traffic. We got up to about 80-85 and I ended up losing by less than half a car.

After I lost to the first Evo, I was j/k with my friend and told him that if I lost to another car tonight, specifically another Evo, that I will have to buy a stall. So, it looks like a stall will be on its way in the near future, along with a ported TB and LS6 intake just for ***** and giggles. Any stall recommendations for a car with 2.73s?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't be too worried, especially on the second one. It was a 'short race' and that's where they really shine. With you putting down ~340, that first one had to have some serious mods to pull on you like that from a Roll......just MO though.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like Pony said, that first guy was a most likely a turbo swap to run 11's (I know it's not necessary, but probable). He still woulda gotten you by at least 3 cars though if it was an even race. The 2nd Evo you woulda caught and started to pass by 100. The 2nd Evo was probably just a full exhaust and tune (maybe a boost controller) and is probably low 13's high 12's.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

... I'm sorry but you guy's have some fast fking cars.

Nice death's btw. Looks like you're getting some serious upgrades in the upcoming months.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a nice 3200-3600 stall...really wake up your car from a roll. Would have made a big difference in those races.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Hey Did that blue evo have black rims on it?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Like Pony said, that first guy was a most likely a turbo swap to run 11's (I know it's not necessary, but probable).
You don't need a turbo swap to run high 11's in an EVO VIII. Bolt-ons, cams and methanol will do the trick and will give you a consistent high 11's car at 113~ to 116~. If he only ran high 11's, it is pretty logical to think that he in fact had the stock turbo.

Since the guy got the jump and with the mods I suggested above will put him at 350~ WHP, which is more than our F-body in this case, the car weighs less, the race only went to a little over 100, therefore it is probably the case that it was not a big turbo car since they usually have 450+ WHP which would have been a lot more of a beating than five~ cars with the jump.

Last edited by Gloveperson; 09-10-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Those Evo's are no joke, nice deaths. Gears, stall now.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GhettoTY
Like Pony said, that first guy was a most likely a turbo swap to run 11's (I know it's not necessary, but probable). He still woulda gotten you by at least 3 cars though if it was an even race.The 2nd Evo was probably just a full exhaust and tune (maybe a boost controller) and is probably low 13's high 12's.
LOL well after seeing him (first Evo) pull away like that, I still wouldn't expect to win even if it was an even race. I just wanted to see what the difference would have been if we hit it at the same time. As for the second, I was pulling and I know I would have passed him if we kept going. But ya can't win them all, which is a good reason to get more mods.

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Hey Did that blue evo have black rims on it?
They were dark, like a gunmetal color.

But yeah those Evos are def no joke, they are quick cars. That was the first time that I ever ran an Evo, and I end up running 2 in the same night, go figure. I'm looking into stalls right now lol

Last edited by Z28LS1KID; 09-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

you really gotta watch the evo's nowadays. the aftermarket for them is HUGE and if you have the $ you can build a monster out of one with not much effort.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I learned racing my Z w/ stock tranny is DON'T race between 35-55 mph because the tranny will not downshift. I got murdered on 50 roll twice and a draw on 80 roll running against a 99 T/A M6 with similar mods as I am (him: lid-catback me: lid-TDs)
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Nice deaths!

While a stall will certainly help from a roll its not gonna be enough to beat that first EVO you ran...from a roll. What you need to do is add some HP. If I were you I would get the stall(go at least 3400) and add a 100 shot. The TB and intake you mentioned also will help.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stall would've helped a LOT in the first race, not enough that you woulda won, but you were in a deadspot. If you guys went at the same time and you had a stall in, you mightve come about 1-2 cars short of him, if I had to guess.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
I was out cruising around tonight with a buddy in my car and we came across a guy in a blue Evo 8. We came around a turn and as we got back on the highway, I was getting ready for him to line up. He's coming up from behind, gets in front of me, then starts slowing down again to line up and as soon as I'm ready to beep (@ about 40mph) he just nails it and takes off. We're like WTF He got at least a 1 car jump on me before I went WOT. So I nail it to try and play catch up, but he pulled hard. I got up to about 95-100 w/ him about 5 cars ahead when we shut down. I catch him at the next light and asked what he ran and he said high 11s. I told him he had a fast car and we went our seperate ways. I just wish we could have went again from an even roll.

2nd run was against a gray Evo 8 and judging by the looks and sound, it obviously wasn't stock either. He was ahead of me and I was right behind him. So not really expecting him to do anything, I nail it from behind @ about 30mph and get in the next lane to the right. He nails it as soon as I get in the right lane and we immediately heard his turbo screaming. I start to pull and as my nose gets to about his front door, he sloooooowly starts to pull and I drop to his rear bumper. I started reeling him in on the top end and would have kept pulling, but we had to shut down b/c of traffic. We got up to about 80-85 and I ended up losing by less than half a car.

After I lost to the first Evo, I was j/k with my friend and told him that if I lost to another car tonight, specifically another Evo, that I will have to buy a stall. So, it looks like a stall will be on its way in the near future, along with a ported TB and LS6 intake just for ***** and giggles. Any stall recommendations for a car with 2.73s?
I have 2.73's if u roll race race from either 30-35 or 65. 40 is a horrible dead spot for the 2.73 u wont go anywhere. I'm stcok and I took an EVO on the highway from 65 when I first got my car the faster ur speed the more advantage u have over most low displacement cars.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QuickBlkZ28
the faster ur speed the more advantage u have over most low displacement cars.

Where did you learn this? The stock turbo on the EVO runs out of steam above 5500-6000 RPM making the boost drop fast and therefore make lackluster top end. Swap the turbo for say a GT35 and watch out; the top-end will be great!

Not to mention, a 800 bike makes some fine top-end
Old 09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gloveperson

Where did you learn this? The stock turbo on the EVO runs out of steam above 5500-6000 RPM making the boost drop fast and therefore make lackluster top end. Swap the turbo for say a GT35 and watch out; the top-end will be great!

Not to mention, a 800 bike makes some fine top-end
Racing... most low displacement cars hit a wall after 100, whereas my z28 keeps pulling until 145+mph.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Racing... most low displacement cars hit a wall after 100, whereas my z28 keeps pulling until 145+mph.
The two have almost nothing to do with each other is the point. It's literally like saying 2+2=a bag of potatoes.

I never took any of my Camaros past 120, but I can tell you that they would not have pulled anywhere close to as hard as say 2JZ-GTE (a 3.0 liter in you do not know) with say...a single 74 turbo on it.

Last edited by Gloveperson; 09-10-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
The two have almost nothing to do with each other is the point. It's literally like saying 2+2=a bag of potatoes.

I never took any of my Camaros past 120, but I can tell you that they would not have pulled anywhere close to as hard as say 2JZ-GTE (a 3.0 liter in you do not know) with say...a single 74 turbo on it.
ok how about this sti's are rated at what 300hp? So is my z28(305) stock for stock an sti will beat in me quarter mile race, but who would win from a 65 punch on the freeway or a 1/2 mile race? An LT1 Camaro has a top speed of 160 mph I bet ur car wont do 160. There's no replacement for displacement.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok how about this sti's are rated at what 300hp? So is my z28(305) stock for stock an sti will beat in me quarter mile race, but who would win from a 65 punch on the freeway or a 1/2 mile race? An LT1 Camaro has a top speed of 160 mph I bet ur car wont do 160. There's no replacement for displacement.
Ok, now we are getting into "cars 101" here. There are a multitude of factors that go into how fast a car is. Gearing is enormously important, as is power band, sheer power, aerodynamics and weight. They are the determining factors of how fast a car is; not CI.

As for no replacement for displacement, that is 100% true. However, it is sheer lunacy to think that a vehicle with more CI is going to be faster. Is my STi, with its 300 BHP, going to be faster than a 5.3 liter 1500 Silverado which also has 300 BHP?

Another example, Formula 1 cars have a maximum size of 2.4 liters and most produce about 800 BHP. Do you think say, an 8.3 liter Viper is as fast as them?

Oh, FWIW, your car has 300~ WHP, mine has 240~. The factory numbers for the F-bodies were down by about 40~ BHP.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Teching In

It has nothing to do with displacement. LOTS of factors like aerodynamics (C/D), power/weight ratio, gearing etc come into play. My car definitely does not hit a wall after 100mph, and it's not very fast. Pulls upto 4th gear redline which is around 140mph with no issue.

With your logic, Peterbilt semis should be topend monsters.

An LT1 Camaro has a top speed of 160 mph I bet ur car wont do 160. There's no replacement for displacement.
It has a top speed of 160mph because of it's gearing NOT it's displacement.

Last edited by diambo4life; 09-10-2006 at 05:23 PM.