Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a trans brake?

Old 09-10-2006, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is a trans brake?

I looked through the threads for just a bit but didnt see any info on what a Trans Break is. Can someone explain that in simple terms? What is its purpoe? When is it used? Pro's & Con's? How much are they? WHere do they go physically in the car? Is there a certain size for requirement individual HP? Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a trans brake ingauges first, and reverse at the same time. what it does is allow you to preload the convertor all the way up, while holding the car still. they are generally not a good thing in a 4L60E. they are hard on the bands.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, stupid question #2. Do you do that only when at the starting line instead of using the brake before you launch down the qtr mile?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4chad
Ok, stupid question #2. Do you do that only when at the starting line instead of using the brake before you launch down the qtr mile?
Holding the brake and stalling up the converter is called launching off the "foot brake". A transbrake does not transfer power until you let go of the button.
A transbrake is akin to pushing the clutch in on a manual car and bringing the revs up to 5000 RPM and dumping the clutch. As you can imagine this is very hard on drivetrain parts so you better have some tough parts.
I have a transbrake in my TH400 but I have not hooked it up yet.........launching off the foot brake was enough to destroy my stock 10 bolt.

Ideally you would use a line lock to do your burnout and then launch the car off the transbrake.

Search this Thread