Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Hard Start Problem - Excessive Cranking

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help - Hard Start Problem - Excessive Cranking

Car is my 2K ws6 with 34K miles. The car is only driven on weekends to shows. Ever since new the car has fired up as soon as I turn the key with no cranking whatsoever.

Last time I had the car out was about a month ago and it started as usual and ran great. Been setting in the garage since then with 1/4 tank of gas and the trickle charger on.

Yesterday I got in to go to a show, and the engine just cranked and cranked - acted as if it wasn't getting any fuel - but the gage on the rail reads as normal at 55psi. I thought it just might be bad gas so I drained the tank, filled up with fresh 98 and added injector cleaner for good measure.

Car still just cranks - it seems that if I hit the gas once while it's cranking - the car will start. Once it starts, it idles and runs as normal with no problems. As soon as I shut it off and try to re-start - it goes back to the cranking deal.

If it runs normally once started I don't think it is the ignition, but I am truly at a loss this time. There is no Check Engine light but I just loaned my scanner out and can't check for sure.

Anybody ever have the same problems, or have any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated - hate to have to take it to the dealer for a service raping

TIA,
-Jay-

BTW, tried to do a search - but the server keeps timing out?
Old 09-10-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, search function came back and I solved the problem. From numerous posts I read about possibility of crank sensor or cam sensor - but found that hard to believe as the car ran fine once started.

Then I came upon a reply to a post by

SidewaysOZ

'Take your ignition relay and swap it with your starter relay. If this takes care of the problem then your ignition relay was going out (and needs to be replaced). My car had your exact same symptoms.'

Did this and the starter would not engage - meaning ignition relay was bad. Picked one up for $14, popped it in, and problem solved!

So if anyone else has this same problem - start with checking the relay's.

Once again, LS1Tech saves another member from paying hi cost service fees!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent! Glad you found it!