Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2004 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cobra

I was on the freeway heading home and found myself toying with a newer Mitsubishi Eclipse. He would gun it and I would lay into my throttle about half way...just messing with him a little. So I slow back down to 65 and the eclispe pulls up next to me and we are pacing each other, then out of nowhere this 2003-04 Cobra blows pass me. I immediately downshift and give chase and catch him around 100 mph. I think he got scared at this point that I caught up so quickly. I was riding his bumper and he definitely had his foot to the floor. I lay off the throttle and then he decides to keep going. The idiot starts traveling through a patch of traffic we caught up to at about 140 m.p.h. What a moron. After watching him play through traffic, he slows down to about 70 and I catch back up to him. I pull over into the lane next to him and about to come even with his car when the ****** decides to gun it and do another 140 m.p.h. pass through even thicker traffic now. Basically what it all comes down to is that he did this several more times. I will not find myself playing through thick traffic or even moderate traffic at those speeds. This guy was a complete tool. He would not allow for a even roll race because I think he didn't want his ego hurt. And because his ego is so sensitive, he wagered his life on that ego by traveling through traffic at those speeds.

By the way my mods are as follows...

FAST 90/90, Lid, SLP loudmouth catback, cutouts, free mods, tr 224 cam, NEX 125 shot, TCI 3600 stall, SFC's, Full suspension, 3.42 gears, CF Driveshaft, SLP Underdrive pulley, Kooks LT's and a tune, plus a bunch of other little goodies.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with your mods I don't see you catching a Cobra by 100 when he blew by you when you were holding steady at 65. Those cars are fast as **** even in stock trim. Unless you sprayed.... Either way, good on you for catching up to him that quickly. Do you manually shift your tranny?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, that guys an ***. I would have stayed as far away from him as possible. I enjoy the occasional HWY run but never in traffic or on residential streets....
Old 09-10-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

those are the ******** you see on the 6 o clock news all dead n ****. stay away from em.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
those are the ******** you see on the 6 o clock news all dead n ****. stay away from em.
Please don't sell that car. I might be able to afford it in 5-6 years . Seriously though, that is one of the best looking SS's around. I think you would regret it in the long run.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Teching In

When I find myself needing to use all the available power from my car...I downshift it into "Drive" because it will bring me closer to my powerband than it would in "Overdrive." I get another 1000 rpms' or so by doing this. But I loose top end speed when I do this so I have to shift back into "Overdrive" to gain more m.p.h. (I run 3.42's) Anyways...my car with the mods running N/A, I have pulled a best of 12.1 in the quarter and that was with shitty 60 foots and shitty tires. Bone stock, my car was good for 13.0 flat. And that was with 67,000 miles on it when I bought it...I have owned a few of these LS1's and I can say that this motor is a VERY strong motor. Especially with a A4 attached to it.

Last edited by shawnmce; 09-11-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Teching In

The Cobra was beautiful, absolutley beautiful and I would of hated to see such a awesome car go to **** due to someone not wanting their ego messed with. I hate to see such beautiful cars wrecked due to someone's ego...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 AM
9 Second Club

Next time just let that dumbass go...there is crazy, and then there is STUPID crazy. That guy was STUPID crazy.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shawnmce
When I find myself needing to use all the available power from my car...I downshift it into "Drive" because it will bring me closer to my powerband than it would in "Overdrive." I get another 1000 rpms' or so by doing this. But I loose top end speed when I do this so I have to shift back into "Overdrive" to gain more m.p.h. (I run 3.42's) Anyways...my car with the mods running N/A, I have pulled a best of 12.1 in the quarter and that was with shitty 60 foots and shitty tires. Bone stock, my car was good for 13.0 flat. And that was with 67,000 miles on it when I bought it...I have owned a few of these LS1's and I can say that this motor is a VERY strong motor. Especially with a A4 attached to it.

Damn good times....I need to get me a cam .
Old 09-11-2006, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by shawnmce
Really? never heard a stock LS1 (SS) running that totally stock. Pretty impressive...
Old 09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Really? never heard a stock LS1 (SS) running that totally stock. Pretty impressive...
yea its def not the norm...most mediocre drivers will run mid-high 13's in a bone stock LS1. Good drivers can hit a 13 flat very occassionally, but thats usually with an M6 and not a stock auto. Back to the race though I hate guys who pull that ****, weaving through traffic at astronomical speed levels. I had one local kid with a bone stock 04 orange cobra pull that as well as a modded LT1 ws6. They both would line up, which si fine if you dont want to race, but they instead just floored it and took off going 120+ mph through traffic....
Old 09-11-2006, 01:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
yea its def not the norm...most mediocre drivers will run mid-high 13's in a bone stock LS1. Good drivers can hit a 13 flat very occassionally, but thats usually with an M6 and not a stock auto. Back to the race though I hate guys who pull that ****, weaving through traffic at astronomical speed levels. I had one local kid with a bone stock 04 orange cobra pull that as well as a modded LT1 ws6. They both would line up, which si fine if you dont want to race, but they instead just floored it and took off going 120+ mph through traffic....
Thanks for clearing that up. i didn't think it was the norm for an auto...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04Terminator
Thanks for clearing that up. i didn't think it was the norm for an auto...
Yea for an auto thats insane, but a lot of guys will claim "stock" autos but really will be running DR's and a torque stall converter...I just cant see the stock 2.73 gearing in the auto (or the optional 3.23's) hitting a 13 flat but in the best possible conditions at an awesome track it might be possible...
Old 09-11-2006, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Occasionally a bone stock M6 will run in the high 12's.....A4's usually see mid to upper 13's. I ran a 13.6 bone stock. I've seen a few people run 13.2-13.3 with an A4 but it certainly isn't common.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Rarely have I seen a A4 run high 13's at the track. I see an average of 13.3 to 13.4 and that is with some miles on the cars. If you recall, GMHTP did a Dyno on a stock ls1 and it put over 400 hp to the crank without any mods...bone stock from the factory while other LS1 motors will be lucky to see 320 hp. In FFAMM, Ford ran the LS1 (Z28) to a 12.89 in 90 degree weather, the fastest F-body to ever run a time that was documented by a reliable source. There are stock factory Z28's out there that will put a serious hurting on a Factory Stock SS. Where I live, I sit at sea level and so does the track and the weather stays at an average of 65 to 70 degrees and at night during the fall and winter the temperature will dip to a nice 55 degrees...perfect weather conditions for the track. (San Diego). Such conditions are nice on the motor. Now, I am not saying that I recieved a complete beast of a car...but they are out there. There are some A4's and M6's straight from the factory that will put out some times that would leave some, if not most people in disbelief. When I ran the 13.0 flat, I did not have a stall or gears or even radials...I was running Federal Super steels. A K&N filter and full synthetic fluids throughout the car where the only mods done to the car