Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cooling turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cooling turbos?

Hi, I am undertaking my first turbo build. It is a 1972 Chevelle with a 346 LS1, and I plan on putting twins on it. Most of the reasonably priced turbos that would fit my application have the standard journal bearings and are oil cooled. Since the car is a daily driver, I am looking for the best way to cool the turbos, so I do not have to let it idle to cool them before I shut off the car.

I have looked at water cooling and according to some other threads on this site, they operate at about the same temp., so I would prefer to find a better, cheaper solution as opposed to buying new center sections.

Would a hi-performance oil cooler eliminate the need for idling to cool the turbos? If not, does anybody have any other suggestions, and if you do...please share. Thanx.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the probelm is you are driving around and the turbos get hot! then you stop, but the turbos will still be spinningm esp if you gave it a little throttle before you stopped! the oil in the bearings sits there and cooks in the turbos as they keep spinning in this now fried oil! not good!!

now its much better to either take it easy on the motor for a couple of miles before you stop or let the car lidel for a few min when you get there (i like the first one as you are getting better airflow over the rad and oil cooler than when stationary). this will reduce the chance of cooking the oil in the turbo(s) while they are still spinning.

thanks Chris.